Thursday 26 March 2015

WM31: Who Should be Main Eventing?

This is perhaps the most charged topic of any I'll discuss during this Mania Week, and it's who should be in the Main Event match opposing Brock Lesnar for the WWE World Heavyweight Title. This is something everyone has an opinion on, and all of them are equally as valid. This might surprise a few people because its not going to turn into Romam Bashing, while I don't necessarily agree with it- I do understand why they're doing it as I'll discuss in this.

Roman Reigns
The guy who's actually Main Eventing much to the chagrin of the large part of the WWE Fanbase who's voices have cracked. A lot of people have made the claim that Roman isn't ready, including me on occasion- and the way Roman's been booked since the Rumble hasn't exactly spoke volumes for WWE's faith in Roman as a performer because with the exception of Fast Lane I can hardly remember any moments where it's been a real "Wow" moment on the part of Roman- with Heyman occupying the large part of the wow moments. This may get me some angry tweets, but I do understand where WWE are coming from with Roman Main Eventing. They see in Roman the new guy they can hang the companies hat on- he's got a marketable look and without seeing merch figures- and the demographics they're sold to I would assume his merch does well in the same areas as Cena's does- and this match will most likely be Roman's Cena/JBL Title switch moment- which really made Cena.

As such I do understand where WWE are coming from with their mega-push for Roman, and the thing some people do forget is that Main Eventing a Mania doesn't guarantee long-term success- look at Miz. But this is WWE's attempt to make a new guy become a brand- and a mega-star. Which we as fans can't necessarily complain about because it was what we've been begging WWE to do for years- and while it may have not been bestowed onto the guy we'd have picked, it does bode well for the future.

That said, Reigns' limited ring-work is a big issue however I always go into events with an open-mind believe it or not- as such I do have to go into the Main Event accepting there is a possibility- however infinitesimally small that this match could supersede Taker/Michaels at Mania 25.

Daniel Bryan
A lot of people's choice for this Main Event, and he should be at least 1/3 of it in my opinion. Bryan is a guy who never really got a fair crack of the whip as Champion- which isn't anyone's fault; as such I think a lot of people had that in the back of their minds when they saw Bryan coming back in time for the Rumble- and that's including me. I thought we'd get another Triple Threat at Mania with Roman winning by pinning Brock. This would be the best of both worlds- with WWE getting "their guy" over, but us still getting "our guy" in the Main Event. This wasn't the way WWE has gone- which at the end of the day is their decision; and they'll get the heat or lack-of for that decision.

One the one hand Bryan is arguably the most consistently over babyface on the current Roster, and surely that should mean he's worthy of a spot in the Main Event? Not always, and in a way I'm glad Bryan is staying out of the Main Event, because he'll undoubtedly be the Main Guy in the match he does find himself in this Mania- instead of being the least important guy of the three in the Main Event match. WWE don't always go for the best match possible, in favour of building or a storyline- and I do understand why they feel the need to do so sometimes; and as such I'm not going to completely take against the Main Event before it's even happened.

The Undertaker
This is more of a fantasy booking scenario, which I've already made reference to this week- and will talk about again later on in the week. When Taker's Streak ended it seemed as though he'd be riding off into the sunset- instead he's facing Bray Wyatt, which I do love as a concept as I've made abundantly clear. While I'm happy for Wyatt to get this match, the only match Taker should've come back for at this Mania would have been a rematch with Brock for the belt. I'm not sure how many matches Taker has left- especially when you consider the fact he no longer has the streak so it's not as important for Taker to come back- and while I don't doubt Vince has the utmost respect and appreciation for The Undertaker every match should mean a lot more- specifically being Main Event worthy, which unfortunately Bray isn't quite ready for yet.

As I've said, I do understand why they're having Roman face Brock- and it would be the absolute antithesis of Taker Main Eventing- and long-term it is a good thing most likely that Taker is staying out of the Main Event spotlight- even if short-term I would have preferred it to Roman Main Eventing.

Thanks for reading as always, as I've already said this topic is a very charged one- and I'm sure a lot of you have opinions I'll happily debate with you if you so wish. While I'm not over the moon with Roman Main-Eventing as I'm sure the large majority of you lot are- I do understand what WWE are trying to do and it'll take time to see whether it pays off or comes back to bite them- and I'll never wish the worst for the company so I'm approaching the Main Event with an open-mind and a will for it to succeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment