Monday 30 March 2015

Top 10 Moments from WrestleMania 31

Hello! This is another Mania Week Blog- and it's the third I've done directly off the back of- and related to Mania. This blog is me discussing individual moments from last nights WrestleMania that I absolutely loved, and I've decided to rank them- just because that seems like something a person who actually knows what they're doing would do, so let's do this!

10. The Rock & Ronda Rousey take on The Authority
I've said my piece with regard to how long this segment went, BUT it was still a really cool moment. Any time The Rock shows up especially now it's a special event, especially at a WrestleMania. Although it wasn't announced I had a fairly good idea Rock was going to show up as I'm sure the majority of people did when they saw The Rock's Mum in the front row after the Cena match when he went to hug someone in the crowd. That said it is still a great moment when The Rock shows up it's great- then when you factor in arguably the most talked about athlete in a non-team sport in Ronda Rousey it truly was a WrestleMania Moment, especially when you consider they were opposite to arguably the two best heels that are currently on WWE TV.

9. Triple H's Terminator Entrance
I saw some people calling this entrance OTT and a bit stupid, but isn't that truly what Wrestling is about? I do think we as fans have a habit of taking Wrestling too seriously- that's why I kind of inherently latch onto the insane gimmicks like AxelMania & in the past 3MB because Wrestling should be fun, if I wanted fighting and grappling I'd watch UFC, Wrestling is a show- and WrestleMania is the Show of Shows; that's why I liked this. I respect people's opinions without a doubt- but I do think Wrestling Fans (myself included) where we have to check ourselves and remind ourselves that this is meant to be OTT and a bit Stupid, as long as it's executed well it's still good and effective. You only have to listen to how the crowd reacted to the entrance to know if it was effective or not.

8. Brock gets Busted Wide Open
This may not be on everyone's list, but I thought this was one of the best moments on the show in all honesty. I said in the Blog directly preceding this one that Brock & Roman told the best story of the night in my opinion- and the blood only added to the match. I love a stiff match- in my opinion in the right circumstances a match needs to be worked stiff in order for it to get over, and I hinted at it in the build to this match that this wasn't going to be a technically sound match- so they should go down the other road of just making it as hard-hitting as possible. Blood I'll be the first one to admit became used too much at one stage in Wrestling; but now we're in a PG world and Blood is seen so rarely to see Brock cut open the way he was after he hit that pole- I genuinely thought he'd bladed for a second and it took the match to another level in my opinion.

7. Dean Ambrose goes Through a Ladder
Let's be honest, this match wasn't going to not have a Ladder Match spot in it- it just wasn't going to be possible. This spot was the stand-out one by quite a long way when Harper powerbombed Ambrose through the Ladder. I touched on it in my other two blogs I've put up today that this Ladder Match was somewhat limited in terms of time and the number of spots they managed to fit in; this was in my opinion the stand-out moment of the match. It's funny Its become a yearly thing I listen to all of the Sam Roberts WrestleMania Interviews and he had Ambrose on and they asked him about Deathmatches and he said he liked doing them because he was bored. While I'm not comparing what he did last night to some of the stuff they do in CZW it's all relative, and for 2015 WWE it was a crazy spot.

6. Scott Hall takes a Back Bodydrop
I'm going to talk about the Triple H, Sting moment a bit later on in more detail- because perhaps unsurprisingly given the number of legends that were involved it's perhaps unsurprising there's a few moments from that match in this list. That said I thought I'd single this match out just because it was probably my favourite bump of the night without a doubt. With all the stuff Scott Hall has been through both over the last couple of years with DDP and all the stuff he went through before that Back Bodydrop at Mania was a miracle in itself- and I absolutely loved it.

5. Bray Wyatt's Scarecrows
The thing I was perhaps most concerned and hung up on in the build to this match was Daylight. It's weird that so much of a Wrestling Show could hang on the Sun, specifically when it came to Taker & Wyatt's match entrances were perhaps even more anticipated than the actual match. When it became clear that is wasn't going to be fully dark for Bray (and Takers) entrance I thought it'd lose some of its effect, and I do thing Taker's entrance suffered a bit because it was "just" a pretty standard Taker entrance without any gimmicks or props, but I thought Bray's Entrance was great. Scarecrows are inherently creepy, and just they way Bray worked the entrance and his mannerisms as he "gave life" to the Scarecrows as he made his way down the ramp- and the way it was shot with it being very close to Bray the whole time and you saw the scarecrows slowly assembling behind him into a small army it was one of the best moments of the PPV hence why it is where it is on this list.

4. The nWo take on DX
You could make the argument, and I'm sure given Triple H is where he is the WWE will try and make it seem like it, that this was The Monday Night Wars boiled down to the two biggest parts of the Wars. I'd disagree with that- but this was still a very cool moment, which I think we should have seen coming in all honesty given the tagline they were pushing for this match was "14 Years in the Making"- but just seeing the original nWo and DX (nearly all of it, don't google the other one) collide was amazing

3. Shawn Michaels Superkicks Sting
3 out of the Last 4 I've discussed have been from the same match, I think it pretty much sums up why I ranked Sting & Triple H as the #2 Match on Last Nights PPV. Even with the DX & nWo stuff I still didn't see this coming, just from me watching it was a completely left-field moment ONCE AGAIN WE SHOULD HAVE SEEN IT COMING. I'm still not sure if Michaels is a Heel or a Babyface from his run with Bryan- so this has completely done me in.

2. Bray Wyatt/The Undertaker Spiderwalk/Kip-Up
People may rank this lower if they weren't in my shoes, but for me this was an amazing moment. I'm not going to go into all my being a huge Bray Wyatt fan stuff again because I've done enough of that this week- that said, this moment was close to perfection in my book. The Sit-Up with Bray already doing the Spiderwalk and Bray dissolving away was a great moment, in a match that had it's ups and downs this was a stand out moment not only of the match but of the whole PPV.

1. Seth Rollins Cashes In
Was it going to be anything else? As I've already said today, this was WWE winning a No-Win situation- which made the moment even greater from a fans perspective in my opinion. Just the energy surrounding any Cash-In is good, and something I discussed what seems like a lifetime ago when I ranked all the Cash-Ins earlier on in the week for a Cash-In to happen at Mania in the Main Event made this a truly great WrestleMania moment.

These were my Top 10, and of course it's open to interpretation and people will have differing opinions- this is after all a personal preference list.

Thanks for reading as always, we're nearly there now for this Wrestlemania week of blogs, so I hope you stay tuned for the last few that'll be up soon and if you haven't already I'd encourage you to look back over all of the blogs I've done dating back to a lifetime ago i.e. Last Tuesday and if you see one or more that takes your fancy I hope you read them and you aren't disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment