Friday 27 March 2015

My 31 Favourite Superstars/Divas

We're now well into Mania week, I hope you're all still with me- I'm barely competent at this stage. Anyway as you might have guessed this is my Favourite Superstars/Divas list an in honour of the 31st Wrestlemania- alongside the 31 Blogs I'm doing, We're going all out for the Top 31. I hope you'll have realised by this stage I'm not going to go for the obvious boring picks necessarily, and of course this is a completely subjective list.

31. The Shockmaster
In arguably one of the best moments in Pro Wrestling- we had the Shockmaster's Debut. I don't care what anyone says, this moment is iconic; and stands the test of time hilarity wise. And we can't have the moment without the man- so The Shockmaster is definitely on my list.

30. Bray Wyatt
Its Perhaps not a surprise Bray is on this list- especially if you've been following me on Twitter for a long time. I've been watching Bray since FCW, so to see him going into a match with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania is completely surreal from my point of view; just because I remember seeing him wrestling in a warehouse against Benicio Salazar. His character is unique in the sense that it (not always) makes you think, and its not the usual fodder that Wrestling Fans are stereotyped as being able to understand. I personally preferred his FCW gimmick, but his character was tweaked- not changed, and they could always go back to his "Time is on my Side" type gimmick in the future.

29. Randy Orton
This could perhaps surprise a few people, Orton since roughly 2012 has been pretty boring; I thought when he turned heel we'd see the proper unleashing of Orton again, but instead he was reduced to the Corporate Champion type role and we rarely got to see the best of him. However, we can't not factor in both his "Legend Killer" run- and his Heel Run along with Legacy when especially against the McMahons he came across as a complete psychopath; which unfortunately as I already made reference to in my "Mania's Biggest Anti-Climaxes" the Main Event for that character fell flat because it followed arguably the best Mania Match in history.

28. Crash Holly
The most decorated Hardcore Champion in history arguably, who can forget his matches against the likes of Pat Patterson, The Members of the Mean Street Posse- and if my memory serves me right, he even at one point lost the title to one of the Godfather's Ho's.  Once again, his run was pure entertainment- and I think when all is said and done; everyone will remember the 24/7 Rule.

27. Funaki
Was Funaki Smackdown's #1 Numbah Wahn Announcah? INDEEEEEEEEEEED.

26. Brock Lesnar
The fact is- Brock is a complete freak, and remember this is my personal favourites to watch; not the most committed guy to the product. Every single time Brock is in the ring- in his current run is special, more so since he ended the streak. As I discussed in both my Mania's Biggest Anti-Climaxes and my Top 10 Mania Moments- of which Brock featured in both; the one thing I wish we'd have seen was him completing that Shooting Star Press- and I do realise he did one in OVW, but as a Mania moment that would have been truly special.

25. Curtis Axel
AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA.

24. William Regal
Regal is arguably the guy who most deserved a run with the World Title that didn't- of those still employed. I know that that is largely because of his personal demons- but Regal no matter what his first name was- was always a great watch from a Wrestling Standpoint, and it may be my British bias- but at the end of the day its my list.

23. Edge
I'm making a point of not putting in Teams- because otherwise I'd have E&C, The Dudleys and the LOD on the list. But his singles career was amazing, he along with Punk and Jericho was arguably the best heel of the last 10 Years with his Vickie Guerrero/La Famila run- and as with Orton that was the predominant reason I liked him. He of course had his babyface run which turned out to be his last of his career, and I can't think of a better way for Edge to end his career than retiring as World Heavyweight Champion with his last match at Mania. The only thing that would've made it better would have been if it were against Christian.

22. Shane McMahon
Once again, this isn't necessarily an obvious choice- but everytime Shane O'Mac stepped into the WWE Ring; which he could've comfortably half-arsed/not done at all- he all but killed himself for us. The most iconic moment was probably the most uncomfortable with the repeated German Suplexes, but I think him falling from the scaffold pole as a lasting memory truly makes Shane one of the greats.

21. Kane
One of Kane's most iconic moments was arguably involving a Car Battery and Shane O'Mac, but Kane should really be considered one of the all-time greats in my opinion. The respect I have for him is almost unmatched, the fact he's maintained the schedule he has done- for as long as he has done with his knees still existing is an achievement in itself, but he's given us so many great moments- over so many years it would be an insult not to have him in any list. I do think Kane is somewhat taken for granted because he has always been here- and yes he's slowed down recently; but nearly every major thing he's done since "THATS GOTTA BE KANE" has been stellar.

20. Bo Dallas
I BOLIEVE! *double thumbs up*

19. Kurt Angle
We've had so many good wrestlers in WWE, most of them deserving of so much more because of said Wrestling ability- but its so ridiculously rare those great wrestlers become great entertainers. Angle done everything in his WWE time, from having the best match at a Wrestlemania- to playing a guitar and singing badly- to having entire arenas chant "You Suck". As with Sting, the only thing you wish from an Angle perspective was they spent more time under the WWE Umbrella- and got the stage they deserved.

18. Chris Jericho
Jericho is someone who I thought would be higher before I actually looked through it all- thats not to discredit Jericho by any means- and I don't know why he isn't higher but, hey what can ya do? Anyway Jericho is still one of the best ever and is more than deserving on this prestigious and undisputed list. Once again his Heel Run- specifically his run against Michaels was the reason he was really cemented as one of the best ever.

17. Victoria
I love a psycho heel, and there wasn't much psycho-er than Victoria in her initial WWE Run. I've noticed the majority of the people I've picked thus far have been a heel for their main run- I think its saying a lot about me as a person, I'll seek therapy immediately.

16. Shelton Benjamin
HE DESERVED MORE...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9R8MFD8dszI&t=14

WE'RE NOW OFFICIALLY HALF WAY THROUGH THIS WRESTLEMANIA BLOG WEEK THING! What a Coincidence the one to bring up the Half Way point was one of these countdowns so there was a definitive point that I could earmark as the Halfway point eh?

15. Ric Flair
Another one who'll be on any list, He'd be Top 5 if it his career ended at Mania 24. For one reason or another he tried to scrape every penny and he had a run in TNA that tarnished his legacy to a point in my opinion. However, he is still Ric bloody Flair (bloody being used appropriately) he is hopefully going to stay the most decorated Champion in history- and if you factor in all the runs WWE won't count he will be. In short- he is one of the best ever, but he hung on way too long.

14. Scott Hall
He's another who arguably held on too long- with his personal demons seemingly behind him for the most part I'm over the moon for him. He's also one of my favourites both as Razor Ramon- and of course as Scott Hall where he along with Nash and Hogan completely flipped the whole business. I think he cemented his place in this list with his HOF Speech last year "Hard Work Pays Off, Dreams Come True, Bad Times Don't Last, But Bad Guys Do."

13. The Rock
Another person who wouldn't not be on the list- but he's another guy who I would have preferred to stay gone. We all loved Rock coming back, but the fact is he couldn't deliver to the level we were used to- and while it was good business it once again hurt his legacy to an extent. Actually its not so much he came back- and Cena v Rock 1 was a match that needed to happen once he came back, but his run with the Title wasn't needed- especially him being the one to end Punk's Streak, and the dodgy way in which he did hurt him more than anything else; and Cena v Rock 2 wasn't needed especially with the "Once in a Lifetime" tagline that was affixed to their prior meeting. But as with Flair, Hall etc. he is still The Rock.

12. Triple H
Another one of the people who deserves to be on any list, Triple H is one of the best ever- no matter how he got there. Marrying Stephanie didn't have him carry on in a match after he tore a quad, and rehab like crazy to actually wrestle again. To put it simply I respect the hell out of him, I don't always like his promos but thats another case- and why he's not higher.

11. Braden Walker
Knock Knock, Who's There? Braden Walker- And He's gonna knock your brains out #WalkerHOF2016

10. Rey Mysterio
His singular WWE Title Run wasn't what Rey deserved, I'm not going to spout of all the cliches related to underdogs and the like, but Rey is possibly the best cruiserweight of all time. His runs in WCW & ECW were great, but it spoke volumes for Rey given his size that he managed to get over in the "Land of the Giants" speaks volumes for Rey as a talent. When his knees actually still existed he was one of the best guys on the roster- and his career in WWE deserved so much more than getting booed opposing Bad News Barrett in his last match.

9. Raven
He was Bray Wyatt before there was a Bray Wyatt, Every Promo he done was so layered- and detailed, and the character was just so good. He did most of his stuff of note in ECW, but that run was unbelievable- and no matter what he did it was almost always quality, which is so rare. He did everything from emotionally charged angles with Sandman- to crucifying him with his son watching.

8. Randy Savage
The soon to be Hall of Famer & Does he deserve it? OHHHH YEEEAAAAAHHHHH.

7. Mick Foley
Another No-Brainer, anyone who'll put his body on the line like Foley has done deserves universal respect, and the fact he has had such a plethora of different runs, whether it was hardcore, creepy, comedic and a lot of stuff in between if you didn't like one of his runs you don't like anything. But the common theme rings true with his initial run as Mankind with the tortured promos which stand out to me and cements his place as high up in the list as he is.

6. Stone Cold Steve Austin
STONE COLD, STONE COLD, STONE COLD! Once again, any list featuring favourites wouldn't be complete without Stone Cold. He's Stone Cold, he was the guy who arguably made the Attitude Era- his feud with Vince will go down as one of the most noteworthy in WWE history. Stone Cold was just pure quality- and as of writing this he's one of the guys thats actually stayed away from competing since he ended his run, and that is a good thing.

5. CM Punk
Punk is an enigma, he had one of the best Heel Runs of the last 10 Years with his Straightedge Society- and that was when I started to really love him. Then of course you get the Pipebomb, and everything that followed was what made him into the Main Eventer. I think Punk leaving in the way he did was in a way the only way Punk could go out of the company- for everything that Punk's done in the business he could never just leave with everyone being happy, and for everything that followed and everything that preceded him- he will always be one of my favourites.

4. Hulk Hogan
I realise this can be considered somewhat of a contradiction given I've ranked Flair so low because he tried to hang on too long, Flair is arguably the best wrestler of all time- but Hogan revolutionised the business, Twice. As I've said with quite a few of these guys, his Heel Run is the reason he's so high on the list; and when it comes to iconic moments there won't be a list which Hogan doesn't appear in at least twice.

3. Eddie Guerrero
Surprisingly Eddie is the only wrestler on this list no longer with us, but he truly is one of the best and most exciting wrestlers of all time. His Hall of Fame induction was more than deserved, and he should truly be honoured as one of the greatest of all time- I loved his work and it just makes me sad we didn't get another World Title Win which he was supposedly due before he passed away, because that would have been a fitting way for Eddie to go out.

2. Shawn Michaels
Another person who would be on everyone's list, I think the reason he isn't #1 is partially because he was a dick- and I always remember things like the Vader moment, and the story attached to that moment when I think of Shawn as well as the unbelievable moments. As with Austin I'm so happy he went out and hasn't came back and ruined it too an extent- because going out to Undertaker at Mania with the calibre of match he had was the perfect way to end his career.

1. The Undertaker
It'll come as no surprise for Taker to be where he is, in his rightful #1 Spot. I said it with Triple H- the respect I have for Undertaker is almost unmatched, for him to still be alive is a feat in itself given the number of injuries he's had, and the run he's had. He's the only 5 or less match a year guy I've never seen anyone bitch about, and thats because he has a presence- and with the exception of the Brock match last year every single match he's delivered at Mania has been top draw. Taker will always be my favourite without a shadow of a doubt.

Thanks for reading as always, I'd like to remind people this is my personal favourites list before people start getting on to me about Andre and the like because if I were to do a "Top 31" it'd be a lot different. But anyway, I hope you enjoyed my list- and I hope you go and look back at the Mania Week blogs I've already done; and if you haven't realised yet I'm doing 31 Blogs during Wrestlemania week so I hope you look over them and pick a few you fancy and give them a read. Anyway, Stay Tuned for the barrage of blogs still to come and I hope you're not sick of me by the RAW Review.

Also this is my 150th Blog since I started Last August, and the support on this Wrestlemania Week is exactly why I'm happy I did start it Last August, so thanks to everyone who's read any of my 150 so far; and I hope you enjoy the rest of Wrestlemania week and beyond.

No comments:

Post a Comment