Tuesday 17 March 2015

RAW Review: 16th March

Hello! Second Blog of the Day, then when you factor in all of the Mania Week Blogs I've yet to publish that all adds to an early death, I'd only have had more years taken off my life if I worked Ryback. But this is a RAW Review, and it's the penultimate RAW before Wrestlemania- and with a few notable exceptions it hasn't even felt like a build for a Wrestlemania; just to be crystal clear, we aren't in fact building Payback right? Ok, LETS GET REVIEWING!

Seth Rollins, Randy Orton & Others
The first part of the overlong Talk Segment essentially consisted of all The Authority Members apologising to Rollins- for listening to Rollins, who was the Champion of Orton for the last few weeks when the others were suspicious. Big Show did nearly cry though, and much in the way of funny cat videos or One Night in Chyna you never don't want to watch Big Show crying. The first part was really awkward, its Pro Wrestling and even within kayfabe we're supposed to believe Orton- the guy who punted a Woman in the Head was going to let them get away with nearly killing him; although Mercury motor-boating Big Show was oddly arousing.

The Second part with the brief back and forth between Orton & Rollins was better, I've touched on it in quite a few Mania Blogs with a couple of guys (who were up to no good, started making trouble in my neighbourhood) who need someone to bounce off of to make their Promos good- and while I haven't highlights Orton & Rollins that definitely is the case with the current incarnations of both guys characters.

Nikki Bella v AJ
The dastardly heel Nikki Bella, did absolutely nothing heelish- and AJ let herself be distracted by the shenanigans going on outside the ring without Brie forcing the issue. We're building it right guys!. But, Hey The Divas got a 2 Segment Match so #GiveDivasAChance worked, which I'm not sure is a good thing because Nikki Bella got a 2 Segment Match.

Seth Rollins and The Gatecrashers Backstage
In a way this segment worked perfectly because Kane & Big Show are horrible actors- which says a lot because both of them have been in WWE Films. Remember when Kevin Feuderline (?) Beat Cena. But Yeah, it was badly acted and just generally meh- In short this backstage promo was a metaphor for the whole Wrestlemania build.

Ryback v The Miz
I liked this match, the match quality wasn't the best- but in the build for Mania we rarely get top draw matches because a lot of people are either saving themselves for Mania, or have been told they're going out 4th in the Battle Royal and sulk. But they did tell a good story, and the teasing of Mizdow clocking Miz was a nice touch- this just feels a bit too condensed in my opinion because we had the teased Mizdow beating & Miz attacking Mizdow tonight, whereas had they started teasing it a week or two ago to the extent they did last night the crowd would have been really into it.

John Cena/Rusev Contract Signing
I have a confession, the Cena Promo was a Cena Promo- and that was that. The minute Rusev's "Lawyer" started talking I was in absolute hysterics and pretty much missed everything said. It was the reincarnation of Borat, if we get Ali G next week Sascha Baron Cohen should sue.

KiddSaro v The New Day
I'd forgotten this match had happened until I looked back over the results, I think I was still making fun of the guys accent. I do vaguely remember Los Matadores going Super Saiyan and El Torito Hurricanrana-ing Cesaro.

Seth Rollins with J&J Backstage
Again this was pretty badly acted, although looking back that might have been the point of these backstage segments with Rollins. WWE making segments deliberately bad is an interesting conundrum isn't it?

Brock Lesnar Pre-Tape
I remember them putting over this Pre-Tape as "controversial", I was a bit sleepy by this point and I wasn't really paying attention- but it just seemed to me like a typical Heel Promo with added "BROCK SMASH" bits.

Big Show v Erick Rowan
How long is it before they drop the "k" from Rowan's name. Big Show going over like a monster in 2015 under 2 Weeks before a Wrestlemania is another metaphor for the build for this Mania. I also think they missed out on having an Axel run-in during this segment, because he thinks he's Hogan now so why wouldn't he do a run-in on the Giant beating up the Babyface?

The Andre the Giant "You've got One Segment to build it" Segment
AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA, AXELMANIA.

Paul Heyman, Roman Reigns Promo
I've said it a few times, saying a Heyman Promo was good is pretty much the definition of stating the obvious. It wasn't as good as last weeks, but if Heyman had topped the Promo he did last week I think it would actually have felt like a Mania build- and we can't have that. The Roman Reigns Promo was a bit  "Meh"- but by his standards thats an improvement, His "I Can" stuff is just the definition of naff- although it is good to see Roman Reigns paying tribute to the 11th Places UK EurovisionSong by Blue...

The IC Title "You've got One Segment to Build it" Segment
In just under two weeks the guys involved in the match will put their bodies on the line for something R-Truth attached to his Suit Jacket with a Clothes Peg. Anyone see the problem with that sentence? I like all the guys involved but with such little storyline other than them passing around the belt more than Missy Hyatt the match was way too long for my liking and it pretty much killed the crowd dead by the time it had ended. I did like the fact Barrett did eventually come out looking like a beast after killing everyone because he's been made to look beyond a joke in recent weeks.

Bray Wyatt Promo
I'm not sure if he was directing this Promo at Taker, or the Bastard in the Pyro Department who destroyed the nice new chair Taker got him. Did he give you the receipt Bray? But Yeah, as with Heyman saying a Bray Promo was good is stating the obvious- granted the feud did have an injection of Taker last week but if I'm honest I thought the wheels would have fallen off this feud when the plan was revealed that Taker wasn't going to be a physical presence on WWE TV before Mania- and I think most people would say it hasn't, although its been far from the highlight of the build for Mania that I thought it would be when he cut his first Taker Promo.

Randy Orton v Seth Rollins
If anyone didn't call the fake turning on Rollins by everyone then they need to be checked- my logic behind predicting Sting was they wouldn't have made the Rollins/Orton  Match become the focal point of RAW two weeks in a row- because lets be honest, nobodies buying Mania for Rollins/Orton, I do a blog asking which match should be Main Eventing and I didn't even consider the Rollins/Orton match. As such I thought there'd be Sting related shenanigans as soon as Triple H showed up and I was proved right. "One of the Greatest RAW Moments Ever" as Cole coined it was Sting & Orton beating up two Cruiserweights who have been taking said beatings for around 6 Months now. I did like the moment though and it was a good rub for Orton.

Thanks for reading as always, if this were the build for any other PPV I'd say its been alright- but this just simply doesn't feel like a Mania build. This is my last Wrestling Related Blog until I start my Mania Week stuff, so if you were unaware I'm doing 31 Blogs for Mania week starting next Tuesday with a RAW Review- and ending the following Tuesday with a RAW Review. I'm not expecting everyone to read all of them, but if you see one that takes your fancy read it or I'll kidnap your dog.

No comments:

Post a Comment