Tuesday 24 March 2015

RAW Review: 23rd March

Hello! We're kicking off Mania week in style with a RAW Review. In case you weren't already aware I'm doing 31 Blogs for Mania week starting with this one and ending with a RAW Review this time next week, it's almost like I thought it out. Anyway we're kicking off Mania week with the "Go Home" RAW for Wrestlemania, and with the build for this Mania being lackluster (that's being generous) would WWE finally pull their finger out and get people interested in Sunday? Let's Get Reviewin' and find out eh?

Sting Opens RAW
When Sting is motivated his promos are absolutely top draw, but when he isn't he just rambles and doesn't really get his point across- and it can border on cringe-worthy. I thought his promo last night was somewhere in the middle, once you got over the fact it was Sting opening RAW for the first time it was a standard "I'm going to do this" promo from Sting- which at this stage in the Mania build isn't a bad thing if Sting had been showing up consistently and got over his motivations properly, but he hasn't. Stephanie's promos are always good- and she is an amazing heel, again this was a pretty standard promo from Steph, but it had more impact because we've had Stephanie featured regularly for ages now so we understand her character and her motivations. The stand-off between Sting & Triple H was an interesting way to go, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense though- unless Triple H is going over on Sting at Mania (which I'm starting to think is likely) Triple H hasn't got a proper shot in on Sting for the whole build- which you can say started last November; and if Sting does go over on Sunday it'll make Triple H's character look awful- and presumably because there isn't a stipulation in place the Authority angle will be carrying on the other side of Mania.

Dean Ambrose & R-Truth v Stardust & Luke Harper
This was a pretty standard Tag Match, the commentators obsession with the Paddy Power odds throughout the match bothered the hell out of me. The thing that bothered me more though was how chummy Ambrose was with Truth, when  Truth started to encourage him to dance etc. I was convinced he was going to hit him with "Dirty Deeds" because that would be in keeping with his character and leave Ambrose as the wildcard headed into the PPV- instead he done some bad break-dancing and hugged him, we're sure this was the go-home show for Mania right?

The Andre the Giant "You've got 1 Segment" Segment
I really liked this match, considering how little effort they've put into the Battle Royal this year- and even more so than last year its just an excuse to get everyone on the card, and considering the commentators interests being elsewhere- specifically putting over the non-existent Bill Simmons/JBL feud if you actually paid attention to the match (unlike the commentators) you'll have seen a pretty good match.

Randy Orton v Seth Rollins & J&J
They booked themselves into a corner for this match, they couldn't give away a Mania match for free a week before Mania so the fact they left the vote with only one proper option it limited the match right from the start. If they didn't have to make Noble & Mercury look incompetent they'd actually be able to put on a decent match. The build for this match has probably been the best on balance, and Rollins could afford to be heelish and retreat because he's actually been around to have a proper back-and-forth with Orton.

Paige & AJ Backstage Promo
This did a good enough job of setting up the angle for the following match, although I really hope the "slag" bit with relation to Paige referring the Bellas went over the heads of those in power.

Nikki Bella v Paige- Divas Title
The Divas actually got a 10+ Minute Match! It was exactly where everyone wanted it to be, we don't need the Divas Title to be defended at Mania, we want a meaningless Tag Match! Give Divas a Chance really is working a treat. This match was proof that if you give the Divas time they'll give you something to get involved with and get the crowd into it.

Snoopmania, AxelMania, Hulkamania
I LOVED THIS. I've made no secret about my affection toward Axel since the Rumble- and as the original AxelManiac I've loved his development since the Rumble into I would argue the most entertaining character on the roster- and after all it is "Sports Entertainment", and I loved this segment, I think this is the peak of the AxelMania gimmick- which is a shame because they could have kept it going right the way through until next years Rumble. Just put this into perspective, a day before the Rumble- if you'd have said Curtis Axel would be on RAW, let alone on RAW in a segment with Hulk Hogan just before Wrestlemania you'd have been sectioned.

Los Matadores & El Torito v KiddSaro & Natalya
It would appear "Give Divas a Chance" didn't stretch to one of the Divas who can actually wrestle, with her being pinned by a bull- it was a pretty standard match; although I'm not sure why the New Day weren't involved in this segment at all, I can only presume they were in the back with a Sheet of Cardboard and a Boombox. THAT ISN'T RACIST BECAUSE BIG E MADE THAT JOKE ON TWITTER AGES AGO.

Rusev v Jack Swagger
Remember when they'd built Swagger to the point where we thought he'd beat Rusev in the Flag Match?

The Cena beatdown was satisfyingly brutal, I said it a few weeks ago and I think its right to bring it up again it doesn't bother me if Cena wins at Mania because they've got Rusev over as a real monster- and with Cena winning the US Title (presumably) at Mania it'll instantly be elevated, and the US Title could even be Main Eventing some PPV's if the latest rumours with regard to Brock retaining come to fruition.

Bray Wyatt Promo
There are certain moments in a Mania build (or at least there should be) where you suddenly realise this Wrestlemania soon because whomever is involved has massively upped their games- we had that Heyman promo a few weeks ago, and we had the Wyatt Promo tonight. Bray is someone I've loved for ages now and this was like his crowning achievement. Later on in the week I'm going to be doing a blog discussing who needs the win more on Sunday out Bray and Taker, and while I think it's likely Taker does win it'd mean so much more for Bray to win.

Dolph Ziggler v Daniel Bryan
This match was slightly disjointed from my point of view- that's not to say by any means it was a bad match but considering the high standard these two have set for themselves this was somewhere in the middle. I did like Ambrose as the Ref, and it was obvious they were setting it up for Ambrose to win- but I wish they'd have had either Stardust or Harper ref it because it would have been bizarrely awesome.

The cluster after the match was good, and I really hope Harper wasn't legit injured because it looked like he was when the ladder landed on him.

Paul Heyman Promo
I'm not completely sold on the Reigns/Lesnar match, but I'm a lot further along than I was after the Rumble and that is solely thanks to Heyman. The promo last night wasn't his absolute best, but it was still top draw- which pretty much sums up why Heyman is the king.

Brock/Roman Tug of War
This is only going to make proper sense to British people, but you can google it.

When I was little I collected little Footballers that came inside Kinder Eggs- and I've got a brother who's two years older than me and he stole one of my footballers so I chased him around the house stole it back off him and pushed him into a wall- it didn't hurt him, but he got the message (Thug Life)- I had more passion for my Little Toy Footballer that my Brother stole than Brock and Roman had in their impromptu tug of war to end the show.

Thanks for reading as always, it has been what I'd call a lackluster build for Mania- and it's one I'll discuss in the next in my sequence of 31, so stay tuned for that and all of the blogs coming up this week. Thanks again, and I hope y'all support this Week because I've put the effort in- so if nobody reads them I'll just have a psychotic breakdown which'll take years of therapy to overcome, but don't feel obligated to read them.

No comments:

Post a Comment