Friday 29 August 2014

TNA Impact Review- 27th August

Welcome to my second Impact review, I'm sorry for it being a day late but my Laptop was "broken" until roughly 10pm when I realised it was out of battery, and I didn't want to watch Impact whilst I was tired, and then write a blog when I might of missed some details. So here it is;

Bobby Lashley, MVP, Kenny King Promo
Firstly, I've decided to divide the opening segment and match into two different things because of the amount of time it took up. MVP cutting his weekly promo is starting to get a bit boring in my opinion- and him ripping on pretty much everything including Miley Cyrus (which did get a chuckle from me) isn't really anything new and in my opinion signals a lack of direction for these three whilst the Roode-EY situation is sorted out.

Lashley v Tommy Dreamer- NY Street Fight
Firstly, I'm not sure why Dreamer is still here. I was alright with him being involved in the Dixie feud after they worked that House of Hardcore-Dixie-Bully angle, and the promo that he cut before Dixie kicked him in the balls. However after Dixie got put through a table in my opinion Dreamer should of never been seen on TNA TV again. They're increasingly trying to become ECW lite, and this is one of the main problems- in that they still aren't really trying to create new stars relying on people like Dreamer to provide opposition to Lashley. I think it was on Jericho's podcast with Heyman where they talked about him coming into ECW and kicking out of Taz's suplex and then getting dumped on his head and stretchered out, and they should do something similar with Lashley and a new guy in my opinion. Where they book a match which looks like it'll be a complete squash and have someone kick out of Lashley's spear, and then Lashley can proceed to absolutely murder them- but there will always be the lasting image of a new guy kicking out of his spear and that can make a guy without him going over a top guy.

Now onto the match itself; It was fine as a "hardcore" match, but given the relative age on the part of Dreamer and with respect to Lashley the ability of both of them, it was never going to be more than a "hardcore" match and turn into a great match. With the exception of the trash can I can't remember any weapon other than a Kendo Stick being used which to me felt like false billing. I did like they had King take a spear though because that could lead to a match down the road if they keep having King take the bumps whilst MVP is injured, and this could lead to the tale as old as time itself of the frustrated guy turning babyface.

The Madison Rayne Promo was fine, if a bit stupid because unless I missed something she hasn't turned (?)

Jessicka Havok coming in is interesting, and if booked right I can see her becoming a better knockout than Kong was

Bro, Bro, Bro. Nope it wasn't the Bromans it was Gunner and Shaw for a bizarre reason.

Madison Rayne v Taryn Terrell- #1 Contender Match
I liked the win at all cost nature in which Rayne approached the match, and in my opinion she's always worked better as a heel anyway (someone tell me when she turned please). However the match itself was only what I'd describe as passable, as when Taryn when she's limited to "just" a normal match her lack of experience is shown up. I also don't understand why Taryn has opted for a Diamond Cutter/RKO as her finisher when she doesn't seemingly have the necessary agility to pull it "outta nowhere"

Samuel Shaw trying on Gunners army uniform was just strange, and given Melendez coming in later in the day it was also in bad taste in my opinion.

Manik, Homicide, DJ Z v Tigre Uno, Crazzy Steve and Low Ki
This match trod a fine line between being fast paced, and being a complete cluster. I'm fine with working a high octane pace, and given the limited time they were given they clearly wanted to involve everyone in the match and get all of their spots in. The match was fine, if a bit confusing because I thought Homicide and Manik were babyfaces- and Ki getting the win was necessary as in my opinion they should be building to a another match with Joe with a stipulation.

Bobby Roode and EY Promo
This, much like the Tag Team promo last week was pretty disappointing in that nothing really happened. They teed up the match for "next week" but once again they missed an opportunity to get some serious momentum behind the match by not having them touch, and focusing on as Tenay put it "competitive spirit".

If Tinder gets another mention on TNA TV I'll go to America to kill the Bro-Mans.

EC3 v Rhino
I liked the venom in this match on the part of both men, and this *at this stage* was my favourite match from the passed two weeks. When I was watching NXT and Derrick Bateman was feuding over Maxine with Johnny Curtis I never thought in a million years he had this in him. The teasing of the Gore on the part of Rhino should be built for a few more weeks in my opinion, so when it does happen it's a big deal. I don't however understand Spud helping EC3 this week after the way he acted last week, and I thought that was building to something- which they still could do, but I thought last week was the catalyst for that.

"The Great" Sanada v Austin Aries
I don't know if it was bad timing or intentional but them cutting to Storm when Sanada took his hood off took a small bit away from it in my opinion. Onto the match, I understand why they're building Storms new character up- and in turn "The Great" Sanada. However much in the way Cena went through the Wyatts on Monday- did they really need Sanada to go through Aries? I liked Sanada biting Aries in order to break a hold, and in order to put this new gimmick over he should continue with the "win at all costs" mentality.

Chris Melendez Introduction
I'm going to get some heat from people for saying this, I don't really care that he's an army veteran. I respect the hell out of soldiers don't get me wrong- but when it comes to wrestling "feel good" characters almost always fall flat. Unless he can work to at least an acceptable level, I wish he'd stay off TV until he can.

Team 3D v The Hardys v The Wolves
Wow. This match is the best match we've had from any wrestling company for quite a few months. The one thing that amazes me is that they gave this level of match for free AND WE'RE GOING TO GET MORE OF THESE ALSO FOR FREE! The match had everything you expected and more, and I'm assuming they're going to have a Tables Match (confirmed) and a Ladder match, and then build to a TLC somewhere down the road (I know Bullys contract situation which is why I haven't said BFG- despite this being the perfect time for them win the belts given the Hall of Fame).

This was a very good Impact in my opinion, and if they carry on this level of competition they should easily find a new network even without them renewing with Spike.

Thanks again for reading. this is my second blog today feel free to check out the other one http://soccerballandwrasslin.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/fulham-v-cardiff-preview.html and I appreciate any and all feedback on any of the blogs which I've done.

No comments:

Post a Comment