Monday 17 August 2015

Hull v Fulham Preview: Write Off?

Yes, they're back already. No rest for the wicked and all of that. All of these Midweek Previews will be up on Monday's as I already said in the Brighton Review, but weirdly after August we don't really have many- at least for a while. Wednesday's game is strange, the Brighton game has seemingly had a lot of people come crashing back down to earth- I think I was a lot more calm when I did my Review because I never took off. You only have to go back to my Posts at around the end of last season to know why. I didn't doubt we would get in some quality players this Summer, but where I had doubts was with Kit's ability to use the players we bring in effectively. I'm not on the "Kit Out" bandwagon yet, I'm willing to at least give Kit September where we'll hopefully have a complete team before I start properly getting on his back. We didn't get rid of him at the start of the Summer like I wanted- so now we've got to stick with it at least for now and let Kit see through his "vision" for this window.

Speaking of the Transfer Window, and while it isn't confirmed at the time of writing- so I don't want to completely jinx it. It's looking 99% likely that Tim Ream is a done deal, obviously writing this two days out from the game it's a bit of a weird situation where we haven't yet signed him officially but he could still sign tomorrow and be eligible in time for Wednesday. With that in mind I'll discuss where I think Ream will slot in and then also provide an "alternative" team without Ream in it for Wednesday.

On the other transfers front it's reasonably quiet, the Lewis Dunk stuff has gone quiet after the game on Saturday- whether that means it's become a non-runner or we're working behind the scenes to sort out all of the details. The Dwight Gayle stuff is weird. We do need him or someone like him- I think Saturday was pretty much the living embodiment of that fact. However, I just can't see it happening- it really is that simple in my mind.

Onto the game on Wednesday, Bettinelli will continue in goal. I saw Bettinelli get some criticism after the game on Saturday, which I can understand- but there's no chance I'm taking part in it. Yes, he didn't exactly have the most stable game- and there were a few moments where he looked a bit iffy. However, he was playing behind our most insecure Centre-Back pairing who never talked to each other- of course there was going to be a few iffy moments. Bettinelli earned his place in the team for the start of this season with the number of games he saved us in last season- and Saturday was hardly enough to suddenly write him off and start Lonergan.

Right then, the Defence. As already said I'm going to effectively propose two back fours depending on Tim Ream's eligibility for Wednesday. The Full-Back depth, or lack thereof is a massive issue with us at present. Voser is without a doubt our "weak link" or I suppose our weakest link because we have a few weak links. With that in mind I think Ream will come in at Left-Back in the immediate term- or in other words until Garbutt's fit. That of course turns us to the Centre-Back debate. As I've repeatedly said there isn't a "right" pairing at present, however I think Saturday was proof that Bodurov/Hutchinson simply isn't a viable option even by our incredibly low standards at Centre-Back.

Hutchinson is still our best Centre-Back at present, it's not ideal that he is- but he is. So he's in despite "that" tackle. Actually, I saw a thing with people complaining the tackle was outside the box- and judging from the screenshots it was. However, Hutchinson should never have made the Ref make a decision in that situation in the first place. I've not turned on Bodurov, and in terms of him as an individual I'd rate him as a Defender above Burn. But in terms of the pairing Burn is better suited next to Hutchinson. Jazz Richards is a given, as you'll see in the Midfield and Striker sections I'm expecting a few changes from Brighton- whether it's rotation or dropping. However, we simply don't have any options to replace him.

The Midfield is where it starts to get interesting in terms of the Team Selection. As I talked about in the Brighton Review, the only thing I can think of as to why Pringle was so bad was he was knackered from the two games in quick succession. So with that in mind I'd be resting him for Huddersfield and bringing in Kacaniklic in a straight swap down the Left. In terms of who plays down the Right I just want us to keep Cairney in one position now, he's grown into all three of the games he's played- and I thought we were really seeing what he could do in the Second Half on Saturday and as such I'd want to see him carry that through to Hull. Hull of course being one of Cairney's former clubs he might end up doubling his goal tally for the season.

The Centre-Mids are interesting because we've got some depth there. I'm honestly not sure whether I'd start O'Hara. Yes, he's been our best player by far this season- but in terms of his fitness I have a few doubts. This goes back to my main thought for this post- whether we should just write this game off and think ahead to Huddersfield or go for it. With that in mind I probably would rest him, but I can't see Kit doing it. Who partners O'Hara is another matter. As I said in the Brighton Review, Christensen was completely anonymous- however I'm not sure if his anonymity is enough to warrant him getting swapped out. Especially with Christensen, we all know what he's capable of and in any given game he could prove to be the difference maker so I'd keep him in for now.

I said it in my Brighton Preview and I'll say it again here. Matt Smith is not a 90 Minute player. It really is that simple. I don't doubt he's a decent player who can make an impact on a game, but he's best served- at least in my opinion coming off the bench for the last 30 Minutes (give or take). Smith was absolutely knackered when he came off, I saw some people questioning why he came off- and I can only presume they either didn't see the game or missed Smith on the deck minutes before and breathing like an asthmatic. So with that in mind it turns to who replaces him. To me it's a No-Brainer and we start Dembele, however I wouldn't be surprised if we ended up starting Woodrow- because Kit.

Who plays next to/behind Dembele is another question. McCormack has been dire for these first three games, he's unfit and it's definitely showing. It's not as if McCormack wasn't in the exact same position last season, he only got his first goal for us in Mid-September- and he only got his first goal at the Cottage in Mid-November. I'm honestly 50/50 on whether I'd play him or not, I'm sticking by my belief that he just needs that one goal to spark him into life- and whether that's a 30 Yard Screamer or 6 Yards out when the Keepers booted it into his back and it's rebounded in, he just needs that one goal. With that in mind I'd probably start him tomorrow, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if he were to get dropped- and I'd find it hilarious if Cairney ended up playing the #10 role as soon as I've accepted he's going to be playing Right-Mid.

Team for Hull
With Ream

Without Ream

I'm not saying I don't want us to win, Of course I do. However, I just can't see us getting anything from the game- and in terms of what game is more winnable out of the two League games we've got coming up Huddersfield at Home is by far the more winnable from the two. But this is the Championship! Anyone can beat anyone in this League, so I'll go into the Hull game optimistic and then that optimism will be killed ASAP.

I'm persisting with Kit for now. If Kit were to go I'd be after Allardyce as I wanted pretty much since it became clear Kit simply wasn't up to it and Allardyce's contract wasn't going to be renewed. Given Sunderland's predicament I can only see Advocaat getting so much leeway and Allardyce would be #1 on the list for them most likely. So on that front if we do act quickly and bring in Allardyce for that reason then I definitely won't be against it.

But, as I've already said- I'm giving Kit at least September to prove me wrong but personally I can't see it. Depending on the signings we make between now and the Deadline we may actually have a squad capable of pushing for Top 6. If we do end up getting Gayle, Dunk and Ream (although as already said I doubt we'll end up with all three) I'd argue that a Top 6 finish should really be the minimum expectation. However, without a Manager who can use the players we bring in effectively we're screwed. In fact I made this exact statement in one of my Post's towards the back end of last season- so it's not like nobody saw a lacklustre start coming.

Thanks for reading as always. The Review will of course be coming out at Midnight on Wednesday so stay tuned for that. The game on Wednesday at least from where I'm concerned given what I've seen is a write off. However, with an extra day on Hull given they played on Sunday you never know- I think the one thing that will get me pissed on Wednesday is if we start slowly. There is absolutely no excuse for that on Wednesday given said extra day on Hull. Thanks again for reading, and let's at least hope for the best.

No comments:

Post a Comment