Saturday 15 August 2015

Fulham v Brighton Review: Fulham Are Definitely Back

Not taking our chances, Last minute goals, stupid defensive mistakes- anyone heard this before? It's weird, I fully understand why there's a lot of people coming out of the game completely pissed- but for some reason I'm not, I'm not even sure why. First Half we were as bad as I've seen under Kit, it's almost as though we had the majority of our players playing three games in a week on the first week of the season. Second Half we were a completely different team- but at the end of the day if you don't take your chances you're not going to win games.

Before I jump into the on-pitch debacle I suppose there was one noticeable thing once the team selections came in. Lewis Dunk being on the Bench, while I don't want to jinx it- I think it's a pretty good indicator in terms of his future at Brighton. Whether that future is at Fulham remains to be seen, it's not like he has to worry about losing his place should he sign for us- I think today's game was further proof that we need to pay whatever's necessary for Dunk. Elsewhere Tim Ream was left out of the Bolton team, once again without wanting to jinx it I'd hope it's a pretty good indicator as far as him signing for us. All I can say is after today we need them to sign ASAP. 

The first Brighton goal was just annoying. Bodurov didn't pick Baldock up at all, but there's just no communication with the Back Four and it was just a simple finish that Bettinelli couldn't have done anything about. While it didn't play out exactly the same way, this game weirdly reminded me of the Cardiff Home game in the Premier League. One of the main reasons for that was a quality left-footed Strike out of nothing going into the top corner and getting us back on level terms. It was just a top draw Strike, and I suppose that was proof as to why we paid as much as we did for him. Oh Hutchinson. After the first two games I was really happy with Hutchinson, he was finally looking like a solid and consistent Centre-Back. I thought he had developed somewhat of a cooler head- then today happened. We saw it against Blackburn to name just one occasion where Hutchinson's stupidly jumped into a tackle and the whole team's felt the consequences. Hopefully the Centre-Back debate for Hull will include at least one new signing, because today is further proof we're simply playing with an incomplete team. 

On a positive note, Bettinelli's signed a new contract. His first game with the new contract was such a similar story to some of the game's last season. Bettinelli conceded twice, but he was never stretched at any point in the game- and the goals conceded weren't in any way his fault. 

I've already touched on the goals and the mistakes that led to said goals, but in general it was a weird display from the Defence. Up to the Penalty I thought Hutchinson was having a pretty solid game. Everyone looked off the pace in the first half, but in general Hutchinson was playing well- then he did the foul and all of that is forgotten. I'm not against Hutchinson starting, if Ream does come in until Garbutt's fit I think he will still be starting with Ream playing Left-Back- but today's game is proof that we still simply can't trust Hutchinson. Bodurov was really iffy today, Hutchinson and Bodurov as a pairing was probably the worst choice possible- yes they kept a Clean Sheet against Wycombe, but guess what IT WAS WYCOMBE WANDERERS. Neither of them are particularly vocal- that combined with the fact everything was coming down Bodurov's side with Voser next to him meant it was an all around bad day for him. 

I've seen a lot of blanket hatred for the Defence, which I simply don't get. I may have been watching a different game, but I thought Voser and Richards deserve some praise coming out of the game. Voser's a clear weak point in the team, don't get me wrong- but considering the volume of traffic that came down his side he at least in my opinion was fine. Put it this way, and I'll get onto it in the Midfield section- he could have done an awful lot worse. I thought Jazz Richards was one of our better players today, he was the only one making runs consistently throughout the game- as with last week he didn't have much to deal with from a Defensive standpoint because they targeted Voser, but for the most part he did well. 

There's Four players I've come out of the game hugely pissed with. The two Centre-Backs for their two mistakes and Bodurov in particular's bad performance, one I'll talk about later and Ben Pringle. He was horrendous today, we're already weakened down the Left-Hand side with Garbutt's injury- and then Pringle forgets how to play Football today. As I made reference to earlier, the only thing I can think of is that this early in the season he couldn't handle three games in a week because he was just awful. It seemed as though every time he got the ball he got crowded out and lost it or misplaced a pass. Christensen was completely anonymous today, there was a time midway through the first half that I genuinely forgot he was on the pitch. It's weird with Christensen because we all know what he's capable of- but since his injury he just hasn't really got whatever he had going for him before Christmas back. Cairney of course scored the goal, and I thought he done fine in general- he wasn't extraordinary by any means, but he was fine. It's a picking from a very bad bunch- but if they do that MOTM vote thing today I'd probably go for Richards or O'Hara and checking the website Richards isn't even an option, so O'Hara it is. This wasn't O'Hara's best game out of the three (competitive) games he's played, in fact I'd probably say it was his weakest- but he was still up there in terms of performances. 

Ross McCormack is a quality player, nobody can deny that. But when he's off his game- wow is he useless. I've said repeatedly that McCormack just needs a goal to spark him to life for a season, and as with last season it's taking him a while to get that goal- and if he keeps performing like he did today that goal is a long way off. Smith was completely isolated today, he did get a few half chances but there was never a stand out one- and in general he was anonymous as well. 

I don't think anyone can say a Draw wouldn't have been fair, Brighton dominated the First Half and we did the Second. I suppose the only thing to do is to move on and look ahead to Hull now. As I've already discussed with the Ream and Dunk stuff hopefully those situations are resolved ASAP, without any knowledge whatsoever I'd hope/assume Dunk will have hung around after the game to discuss personal terms or whatever as apparently what happened with Dwight Gayle after the Palace game. Speaking of Gayle, god did we need someone like him today and again let's just hope he comes in (if he is to come in ASAP). I said it last week in the Cardiff Preview and I'll say it again, we can't expect to be competitive while we're playing an incomplete team, it really is that simple.  

I'll direct you to what I said with regard to my season predictions in the Cardiff Preview 

"I think we're going to have a really rough August, leading to a few panic buys before the Window shuts and we'll eventually stabilise getting to high Mid-Table with the ambitions of Playoffs- but then around March/April time we'll completely go off the rails and settle at around 10th-14th."

I know it's early days, but that doesn't seem too far off. Thanks for reading as always, even in the depressing games I hope you still read and enjoy these. We're moving onto Hull now, all of my Midweek Previews will be on a Monday just for convenience with my other posts because I never like putting two up in a Day when it isn't absolutely necessary- so stay tuned for that. Thanks again for reading, and I'm sure we're all mourning the end to our historic unbeaten run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment