Saturday 22 August 2015

Fulham v Huddersfield Review: Buying Another Week

Well, We didn't lose. As far as positives go that's pretty much where it ends. We didn't deserve the Woodrow goal at all, I said 4 Points from today's game and Rotherham was a minimum requirement- so that goal's saved Kit at least for another week.

This might be breaking news to some, but under Kit we're lifeless. We played a team in Huddersfield who were equally lifeless, but with players of a lesser quality (on paper). The fact is, in the first half Huddersfield passed the ball out of play more times than I could count- THAT WAS THE STANDARD OF TEAM WE WERE PLAYING TODAY!

I'll open with Kit's Press Conference. Him saying we're unlucky doesn't wash with me, especially when one of his examples is SAKARI MATILLA getting injured in the warm-up. Can someone explain to me how SAKARI MATILLA in any way would have changed the game today? The fact is there's a point when you're getting "unlucky" every game and at that point you have to turn around and think "maybe it's me". I don't want to criticise the team, believe it or not seeing as I've got a £250 Season Ticket- I do actually want to us to win a game- but Kit's just delusional now. The injury excuses aren't enough for me now. We've had the whole Summer to get a Centre-Back in and we haven't- we're just a complete mess.

Onto the goals, full disclosure I've got absolutely no clue how Huddersfield scored their goal. All I can really say is that it was a fluid move for Huddersfield, Wells got the chance and he left Lonergan no chance. I'm happy with the Woodrow Goal and Point- I'll preface this with that. As already said we didn't deserve it, it was the one time in the whole game one of the Huddersfield Defenders switched off. Luckily for us Woodrow was there with a- I won't call it a good strike, the Huddersfield Keeper had harder saves to make during the game but it went in and a goals a goal.

Pretty much everyone was flat today, one of the only players who I've got an opinion of one way or the other today was Lonergan. He made a few good decent saves, as said while I didn't have the best view for the Huddersfield goal but as far as I could tell Lonergan didn't have a chance for it. This wasn't exactly a hard test for Lonergan today though so I'm still reserving judgement to an extent until he comes up against a team that puts him under pressure consistently- which Huddersfield simply didn't do.

When it comes to their goal, while I didn't have the best view for it- shock horror the move started down our Left-Hand side. It's like I've said in the last few of these- I'm not even going to get on Voser's back anymore- it's not worth it. Once again Kavanagh was on the Bench (as was Ream, but it was too soon for him) so I don't know if that's saying more for Kavanagh or Kit in terms of him being left out in favour of Voser. The Hutchinson injury was unfortunate, as with the Bettinelli stuff on Wednesday without knowing at a guess I'd say he jarred his back and just got completely winded from it. Jazz Richards was a player who I can't really have an opinion of one way or the other today- and in general for the season given his complete lack of Defensive work that's been required so far this season. In the case of Dan Burn it's not that I think he played badly today- or anything close. I also understand you can only play against what you're up against, but I don't know whether it's luck, chance or whatever- Burn's played almost exclusively against Strikers who I wouldn't really call Championship quality and that's where my doubts of Dan Burn come from and why I still don't really rate him. But as I've said he did play alright today so fair play to him on that- and out of the Three nominations for the MOTM thing they do I'd vote for him. It wasn't a hard test for Burn today, but he looked good when he got in the Huddersfield box and created a goal- so maybe we should start him up-front.

The Midfield is actually quite impressive in a weird way. How Kit has managed to get a Midfield of Cairney, O'Hara, Christensen and Kacaniklic to be completely limp and lifeless for the most part is beyond the realm of comprehension. That four should be creating a minimum of three chances each per game- and yet they just never came into the game today. That's all that can really be said about the whole Midfield today- they were just completely flat, Kacaniklic made a few good runs and Cairney looked alright when he came inside but apart from that there was nothing at all of note.

I'm by no means saying Dembele was great today, however he for the most part- at least in my opinion was one of our better players today. It amazed me in the First Half that rather than change tactic with Smith out of the team we just put Dembele on and played exactly the same way. However, given the complete lack of life behind him and creating chances for him he played his role well for the most part and held the ball-up reasonably well. I don't know if I can say anything about McCormack that I haven't already said, condensed version if you've come here for the first time- McCormack needs a goal to spark him into life, I'm 50/50 on persisting with him- but it being a moot point because there's no chance Kit would drop him.

As I've already said, 4 Points were needed from these two League games we've got coming up before the International break to give Kit a chance of being on the payroll come September- whether we get a win at Rotherham remains to be seen, I'm not reading anything into Rotherham having a dire start because the fact is at the moment there's a strong chance we go to Rotherham next weekend and make them look good. Before the Rotherham game there's of course the matter of Sheffield United to deal with- if you've read my last few I'm fearing the worst for that one, but I'll still be doing these Previews/Reviews so stay tuned for those.

The way we played today astounded me. We managed to make an absolutely dire Huddersfield team look competent- as with the Midfield that's actually quite an achievement, so maybe we should be congratulating Kit. I didn't jump on the "Symons Out" stuff at the end of the game- I'd rather complain online! But the one thing that got me today was those same "Symons Out" people were chanting "Kit Symons Bla-White Army" when we were losing! I'm not saying don't chant or get behind the team when we're losing, but the fact is you can get behind the team without getting behind the Manager- so that annoyed is too far- but it got to me a bit.

I really want to be happy- usually last minute winners/equalisers send the crowd home happy, and in a way I think that's a bigger indicator of how far gone Kit is that they still turned on him after the equaliser. I do have an issue with chanting that sort of stuff before the End of the Game, it's not like the players/Kit were going to sprint off the pitch before the people had a chance to vent after the game, but I'm not going to harp on about it- I'm always a believer that if you've paid money to go and see a game you can chant whatever you want (within reason), it's your right. As I've said already, I didn't go along with the chant. Mainly because Huddersfield had launched it up and I thought we were going to concede, but still- save it for after the game it's just counter-productive to do it during.

Thanks for reading as always, even though we're playing dire I hope you enjoy these- or for those of you that haven't seen the game/highlights you've gained some insight into how the game happened or whatever the reason may be that you read these. These Fulham posts are almost non-stop at the minute, the Sheffield United Preview will be up on Monday so stay tuned for that. Thanks again for reading- at least the weather was nice today, if it had been last season Huddersfield Home weather it would have been so much worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment