Monday 29 June 2015

Slammiversary Review

Hello! It's a Slammiversary Review that I really wasn't sure I'd be doing. The only reason I ended up watching Slammiversary last night was because it was Free on TV last night- I wouldn't even have bothered streaming it, so thanks for that one Challenge. Anyway, the one question that you all want the answer to- Do I want a Refund?

Tigre Uno v Manik v DJ Z- X Division Title Match
It's not that I didn't like this match- because I did, but to me the job in Title matches is for the audience to suspend their disbelief to the point that you believe a Title Change may happen even though you know it won't. All of that was completely out of the window knowing for a complete fact that Tigre wasn't dropping the Belt and for me that took any suspense out of the match that a good match needs to have. Like I say though, that's not to say I didn't like the match and it was a fun opener- it was just flawed from the outset.

Quick Point, with TNA seemingly doomed a load of people have been saying how they want Aries, Roode etc. to come down to NXT- While I do want them, I would seriously rank Zema Ion above them in terms of who I want to see down in NXT. You'll know if you've been following me on Twitter for long enough that I really rate Zema- and were it not for the Jesse Sorensen thing I truly believe Zema would be at Aries level in terms of standing within the company- couple that with the fact he's still only 28 get's me quire excited and he's someone who I definitely want them to look at.

Robbie E Backstage Promo
The little thing with Borash before we got onto the Interview felt like a Eulogy- and it wouldn't surprise me if JB is off soon as well. The Robbie E promo was good in selling his "new" motivations so to speak and did a decent(ish) job of hyping the match.

Robbie E v Jessie Godderz
The Jessie Promo was a bit "meh" and his new gimmick seemingly being the exact copy of Chris Masters/Mordetsky isn't exactly helping his cause but I'm actually enjoying Jessie at the moment. In terms of "Most Improved Guys" Jessie has to be one of the guys you talk about- and his facial expressions made him look like a genuine psychopath and like he'd snapped. It's never been disputed that he has "the look" but now he's actually adding to that and his character is seemingly starting to get some depth. That makes the finish even more perplexing- but as long as Jessie gets the Win back on a show that actually matters it should be fine.

Bram v Matt Morgan
At least Bram won. After what happened on Wednesday with Vader I really wasn't confident that Bram would win which was a must- and I've read the Spoilers but I've already forgotten them but I would hope Bram will kick on from this and in a not too dissimilar way to EC3 slowly build up momentum to the point everyone's clamouring for him to get the TNA WHC Belt. I actually liked this match because it didn't go all out. It was somewhat refreshing for a match to not give the crowd the kitchen sink and basically acknowledge that there were other matches they needed the crowd to be invested in more. So for me this was a decent match, but it never wanted to be anything more than that.

Austin Aries v Davey Richards
WRASSLIN!  For a seemingly throwaway match to determine the stipulation of a match that had already happened with one of the participants having one foot out the door this was really good. This was a good ol' Wrestling Match. It didn't have any of the bells and whistles of a stipulation- and they just got in there and showed why they're two of the best Wrestlers in the Company. There honestly isn't much else you can say about the match other than that the 30 Minute Iron Man Stip should be a fun one.

Brooke & Kong v The Dollhouse
This was just quite "meh" to me- and that's pretty much been the feeling of the Knockouts recently in general, and that truly is a shame. It's not that they're doing anything inherently wrong- I just want more from the Knockouts, and when you factor in the Knockouts aren't unique any more in that they're giving Women the spotlight in NXT to an equal- if not more so than the Knockouts at their height does take some of the sheen off of the Knockouts Division. BUT THOSE ROYALTIES FOR CORGAN'S FRIEND!

Magnus Backstage Promo
This was a bit all over the place- but I'm not going to massively dig at him for that because he was probably all over the place mentally what with it being most likely his last night with the Company.

James Storm v Magnus- Unsanctioned Match
As far as matches go when both competitors are pretty much out the door this definitely outranked Brock vs Goldberg. I don't usually like matches where they go "all around the arena" just because for me it stops the match getting a good flow to it and I hate all the conveniently placed items that come into play but I really liked this match. It had enough of a rhythm to it that the "get to different areas to do a spot" didn't feel as blatantly obvious as most of these sort of matches do, so when the spots actually happened it meant something. This match told a near perfect story as well with Magnus refusing to give in- Some people may have not liked the finish and I'd understand that- but to me it was good because it showed that although Storm won there was nothing to separate the two guys.

This was when it all started to go horribly wrong. I remember seeing something in the week that The Harris Twins told the TNA Workers that the pay was delayed and if they wanted to they could shake their hands and leave. Well, it seems like the Audio Guys took the offer. It was hilarious for the first minute or so because all I heard was a massively loud bang that made me jump out of my skin before the audio just completely cut out. If there was ever a way to Celebrate 13 Years of TNA this was it. Well, that and the Main Event.

EC3 & Tyrus v Mr Anderson & Lashley
This was quite "meh" to me- and it was pretty much the definition of a Filler Match. That said I'm still excited to see the Title Match on Wednesday- WHERE LITERALLY ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN, WHO'LL WIN- I DON'T KNOW!

King of the Mountain Match
King of the Mountain Matches are a Complete Cluster- Anyone who disagrees with that doesn't know what they're talking about. That said as far as Clusters go this was a fun one. If you put a gun to my head I wouldn't be able to explain the rules for the match- but once you gave up trying to understand what was happening it was quite a fun match with a lot of different dynamics. I'm not going to get annoyed that Jarrett won as some are seemingly doing because I think everyone was braced for said occurrence and if anything I'm less pissed than I thought I'd be because I was convinced Jarrett was going to do the match in a GFW T-Shirt. It had enough moving parts to make this match passable and enough fun spots like the Team Canada reunion, but the one thing that annoyed me was the way in which Jarrett won. Eric Young is someone who's become somewhat of a killer in TNA over the last 6 Months, maybe more- so for him to Piledrive Jarrett onto a Ladder which looked stiff as anything by the logic TNA has used when booking EY should have meant Jarrett was stretchered out. So for him to get up like it was nothing 2 Minutes later and win just killed the match for me, and I had developed some goodwill toward it before that point.

Anyway, I'm sure all the things that happened tonight will be thoroughly addressed in terms of the In-Ring product this coming Wednesday and we of course have the Title Match to look forward to where literally anything could happen- I know I'm going to put my life savings on Angle retaining.

Thanks for reading as always, I genuinely did hope to get the Cesaro Booking Post out Last Friday but a load of really weird stuff happened on Friday that there's no real point of me getting into on this. That said I truly am trying to get it written and up ASAP and hopefully it'll be up in the coming days. Of course you've also got the RAW Review to look forward to tomorrow so stay tuned for that- and feel free to tag along on Twitter tonight for some top notch banter. Thanks again for reading, and after last night I feel like we need to start up the "Don't Fire Eric" stuff again- so remember to chant that on Wednesday guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment