Thursday 4 June 2015

Destination Impact Review: 3rd June

Hello! Yes, they're finally back- I know I said these would be regular once the Football season was over but for various reasons after the first one approximately a month ago they just didn't materialise. Anyway these are back now and I tentatively want to say they're back now- and with the move to Wednesdays they're back full-time now, or at least until Destination America pull the plug on Impact. Anyway, enough of my aimless rambling because I'm writing this later than usual and I have to get this out by 6pm.

EC3 Opens the Show
I believe someone on Reddit described this as "The whitest thing he's ever seen". I actually really liked this, for me Wrestling should always have a touch of the ridiculous to it and this definitely had that between the Girls with Ring Card, The Be Sharps and the Balloons. I've made no secret of my belief that EC3 is in fact very good and he can truly make anything work and he did with this. The teasing of tension with Tyrus was interesting because we've already had the "EC3s assistant goes after him" story with Spud and I'd prefer they didn't go down that road. Angle's Promo was alright without being anything of note and it did a good job to lay the groundwork for the rest of the night when it comes to EC3, Spud and Angle. But Angle's attack on the member of The Be Sharp's was completely uncalled for and I hope he's arrested (again OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH).

Lashley v Eric Young
This wasn't even in the same solar system as some of the matches these two have had in recent memory, but I think that's more down to time constraints than these two lacking the ability to put on a great match and the predominant story they were angling for in this match which is Melendez chasing EY. The match was still good, but if it wasn't it'd have been more of a surprise given the ability of both of the guys involved- it just wasn't taken to that next level that both guys are capable of getting to.

I can't even remember the last time Melendez had a match, but if anyone can get a good match out of Melendez it is EY- which I'm assuming is why they're doing this in the first place.

Various Promos
I know they need to build the EC3 match for Slammiversary- but I'd have bought into the will he/won't he with regard to Spud a lot more if they'd have kept EC3 away from Angle (and by proxy Spud) until at least on the day of Destination X because we all knew Spud would use Option C as an FU (Yes, A Standing Fireman's Carry Takeover) to EC3.

The Dollhouse "thing" was a bit weird and nothing else. I still don't really buy Taryn as a Heel even after all the Heely things she's done with Gail. For some reason it just hasn't clicked at least for me yet. The one thing I had to laugh at was them putting the Music Credit for "Doll Parts" before the segment started because they were talking over it so much I wouldn't have known the song at all without said Music Credit.

The Melendez Promo was actually pretty good. Melendez comparing Young to the War was... Interesting. I just want to see a proper aggression from Melendez which I hope Young can bring out of him. When I say aggression I don't mean him jumping on Young and punching him I mean bringing out a real purpose behind every move Melendez does and making him work stiff to an extent- so it looks like Melendez genuinely wants to hurt EY.

The Aries and Spud backstage promo was a bit "meh" for me, it just didn't do much to further the whole story with Spud and just felt like "Hey, Aries is Mr Option C- we should probably film something with him and Spud" as opposed to them using it to further the story.

That's 4 Backstage Promos in a Row now, and that annoys me. Impact should be Wrestling- so to have 4 backstage "talk" segments in a Row is just stupid and isn't accentuating the strengths of the Roster.

Brooke v Jade
Actually, can we have more talk segments?

EC3 Backstage Promo
Sometimes Borash is assigned duties he's uncomfortable with- so presumably he was the one who had to field the TNA Conference Call in wake of the ROH news.

Dollhouse Backstage Attack
This actual attack was fine, I'd have preferred it to be a bit more brutal- but with Christy Hemme leaving I can only assume Rebel isn't far behind seeing as the only reason she was seemingly hired was because she was mates with Christy so this may have been a way to write her off and send her into the sunset.

This is now 6 Backstage Segments with a Below Par Match sandwiched in the Middle of it, they really aren't doing themselves any favours.

The Rising v The BDC
This was more like it. Let's be honest here, while I like Camacho and Ricker they're in TNA solely to be "the other two" with Drew and it's in all honesty Drew v The BDC. That said all of the guys played their part in the match and made it pretty good. I would have preferred for the BDC to win but that's more to do with me wanting more matches and a longer feud because I can't see where they'll go with this feud now that the "Good Guy" has beat the "Bad Guy" clean. Also we saw the second Doomsday Device of the Night if you also watched ROH.

Mickie in Nashville (Part 1)
This and the subsequent one's felt so much more like a Horror Film which in turn made it make a whole lot more sense with Storm's Character so if you go back and read my Sole Impact Review this side of 2015 roughly a month ago you'll see it's exactly what I was calling for with Storm.

Spud Makes his Decision
I loved this segment. I do wish TNA would tone it down with the talk segments and streamline them- but this is one that definitely makes the cut. Pro Wrestling is only good when you get emotion into it, and this segment made everyone either back Spud or turn on Spud- there was no middle ground and in that sense it did a great job of selling the match next week. For me Spud's Promo was the highlight of the night- and that says a lot because I don't really have Spud down as a Promo guy as such.

More Backstage Stuff (Ugh)
The Dirty Heels backstage thing was functional and set up the match with The Wolves and reminded people who may have for whatever reason missed the last two of the current situation.

Mickie James in Nashville (Part 2)
This did a good job of "flipping the switch" with regard to Storm and his true motivations when it comes to Mickie. The facial expressions was what made this segment for me and really sold it for me.

Dirty Heels v The Wolves
I really liked this match, but then again- with the guys involved is that really saying that much? The thing that made this match for me was the the Dirty Heels were actually Dirty Heels for a change, and it sets up an interesting dynamic for the 4th (and 5th- oh no wait, there could only be 4) match of the series with regard to Roode's seeming reluctance to "flip the switch" but eventually doing it. This also did a great job of protecting The Wolves because they took everything and kicked out and the only way they were beaten was because of cheating. I don't always give TNA credit but they more than deserve it for the way they booked this segment. Obviously with my Lack of Reviews I haven't had my say on it- and I understand to an extent them doing this Tag Series the way they have, but the outcome couldn't have been more obvious and that's the only thing that took away from this match somewhat.

Mickie in Nashville (Part 3)
This was just stupid. They could have done so many different things that would have been better than Storm actually killing Mickie (seemingly). It would have been somewhat effective when there wasn't this thing called "The Internet" and as I've said with regard to WWE Kayfabe is dead. I'm somewhat reminded of in "Proper" ECW when they did the Sandman was Blind angle and Heyman told the story of Sandman not leaving his house, not answering the door etc. for a Month all to sell the angle- but Mickie can't do that because she's presumably booked for appearances so you just go "Oh Yeah, TNA are doing this thing where Storm killed Mickie" as opposed to buying into it for even a second.

Madison Rayne "Uncensored"
I was expecting more from this, I mean the actual Rayne Promo- I don't expect anything from Velvet and as I've said many times nobody cares about Velvet Sky. Then you bring Angelina Love into the mix and this was just bad. I don't know where they're going with this whole dynamic and I don't care either.

Taryn Terrell Backstage Promo
Nope, still not buying her as a Heel.

Angle and Spud v EC3 and Tyrus
This was alright without being that good. This stuff was more to set up what was going to happen next week as opposed to a stand alone match which I'm not necessarily against. This was all but confirmed with the "Heavy Stares" between Spud and Angle after the match and then the Aries announcement.

This Impact just seemed to be setting a lot of stuff up for next week and beyond which I suppose is understandable given it's Destination X next week. Anyway, I'll be here for that and I hope you'll be as well.

Thanks for reading as always, as I've said these Impact Reviews are back and as long as they're on Wednesday they'll be here to stay even when the Football Season starts up again. Anyway, thanks again for reading- my Suggestion Box is open for my next booking blog, I'm not sure if I'm going to do them every week or every fortnight so I'd like opinions on that and also I did this solely as an Impact Review- but now Wednesday is Wrestling Night if you'd like to see me expand on the Review for today and do ROH, NXT and Lucha Underground as well then just give me a shout on Twitter on in the Comments on this. Anyway thanks again for reading, stay tuned for future posts and depending on when I put my next one up have a good weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment