Tuesday 3 February 2015

RAW Review- February 2nd

Hello! After a week off we're back with the RAW Reviews, all of you lot can stop panicking and calling 999- normal service has been resumed. This was of course the first live RAW since the Rumble- and all eyes were on Triple H's announcement which was promised in the build to the event. Also I'd like to apologise in advance if there's any typos but I have to knock this out in less than an hour because I'm off to Fulham v Sunderland this evening.

The Usual Segment 1 Cluster
Reigns is still going to Main Event Mania, I highly doubt they'll undervalue the Royal Rumble by stripping the winner of the Title Shot- combine this with the fact I can't see them giving the Main Event to Daniel Bryan. This storyline is purely to further Reigns' character- and I think the teasing of a heel turn will be a tease, similar to Cena on multiple occasions. Having an ad break in a talk segment was a new level of stupidity, but considering all of the different elements that had to be addressed given the people they had in the Segment it was always going to drag.

Big Show v Roman Reigns
Thankfully there was an Ad Break which meant we avoided some of this match, I liked the finish- just because(despite the circumstances of the win) it was the first proper chink in Reigns' armour with regard to losing a Singles Match; unless I'm mistaken or forgotten one (which with a Reigns match is most definitely possible) last night was the first time Reigns was pinned in a Singles Match since 2012- when he was pinned by Leo Kruger.

Stephanie, Triple H Backstage Segment
Urm, When you want to have a Private Conversation- perhaps avoid the room with a camera crew- and lighting rigs- just a tip.

Curtis Axel, Dean Ambrose Segment
The Rightful Royal Rumble Winner came out to claim his prize, it'd have been more entertaining had the commentators not been talking over Axel. Of course I joke about it, but Axel as a deluded Rumble winner could be a fun gimmick- always having him in the segment after Heyman/Brock (obviously not after a Main Event Segment) ranting and raving. The matter of fact way Ambrose said "Now you're eliminated" did make me laugh- but I'd have had Axel's new gimmick as avoiding going over the Top Rope at any cost- with a timer on the Titantron saying how long he's been in the Rumble Match. Anyway, I like Ambrose going after Barrett- between Ambrose going after Barrett and Cena going after Rusev it would appear they're finally trying to get some stock back in the "Secondary" titles.

The Ascension v The Dusts
So let me get this straight, Since May of last year- I've been saying we should start seeing some cracks in the "Adam Rose" gimmick with Leo Kruger coming through. Now they've bestowed that gimmick onto Cody Rhodes. I like Cody Rhodes but c'mon.... KRUGAH! Its good Ascension are beating somewhat credible people now- because them beating the Miz's on their debut seems to have been forgotten about.

Cena Welcomes Dolph, Rowan and Ryback
This segment was a bit of a waste in my opinion, we could have achieved exactly the same without using up the "Good to See the Babyface" pop from the crowd.

Ryback v Luke Harper
Ok, Confession time- I did get sidetracked in this match watching the Shawn Michaels-Shelton Benjamin Superkick in a loop. If you don't know what I mean when I say that- we can't be friends ever. Wait, Come Back I still love you. Anyway, the match wasn't the best- but it was a vehicle to get Ryback over after his momentum somewhat stalled as of late. I like Harper- but I'm glad in a sense to have been right about Harper getting lost in the shuffle after being inserted into the  Authority storyline last November. I like Harper so it sucks in that sense, but I hate being wrong- SO TAKE THAT.

Jimmy Uso v Cesaro
This match will be forgotten pretty quickly, but I thought it was a really good back-and-forth match with a really good finish. I've always thought Cesaro could have used an uppercut as a finisher- not a traditional standing one, but one that looks like its killed the other guy; so I was over the moon with the finisher. I also liked the fact they teased tension between Cesaro and Nattie without Cesaro losing- because it was the best of both worlds with regard to storyline development and Cesaro not looking like crap.

Mizdow Gets Fired
This wasn't exactly a surprising development, I had an idea for Mizdow to become an out of work stunt double and just randomly come out during different segments in *insert gear* and start mimicking them. Basically taking what Charlie Haas was doing ages ago.

Bray Wyatt v Dolph Ziggler
Bray going over Dolph clean was the one outcome I didn't see happening in a million years, but I'm so glad it happened. Dolph is almost like Jericho in a sense now where he's going to be properly over with the crowd no matter what- so he can bounce back from this loss pretty quickly. He also has a pedigree about him which means beating him does mean something.

Stephanie, HHH, Rollins Backstage Promo
The mentions of Orton are likely planting the seed in people's minds what happened to Orton seemingly a lifetime ago- and to get people anticipating his return without doing something so obvious as vignettes.

Paige v Alicia Fox
I have no desire to find this match, perhaps thankfully given the Bellas were on commentary the Sky signal completely cut out sparing me from the horror.From what I can work out The Bellas sprayed Paige with some kind of tanning thing which presumable could be washed off instantly-  THE HORROR.

Sin Cara v The Miz
It seems weird to be talking about Mizdow as an actor, but the nuances in his performance last night were sublime. Whether it was him changing his body language, changing his arm position to be "more open" it was perfect to get the crowd- and keep them on side. Mizdow was of course the highlight- but a lot of credit has to the way The Miz has worked it as well- and Mizdow wouldn't be anywhere close to as over as he is without The Miz in my opinion.

Bray Wyatt Promo
ITS HAPPENING GUYS! This Promo even by Bray's ridiculously high standard was outstanding, granted I've been a Bray mark since FCW- so this is pretty much as good as it gets for me. If you really listened to the Bray promo you know exactly what the entire feud will be based on off the back of a 45 Second Promo. I'm not sure exactly how they're going to work it- but if Bray can get in Taker's head and freak him out he'll be set for as long as he wrestles. All I can say is- Let The Games Begin.

Rusev v Erick Rowan
Rusev looked like a monster here, but lets be honest- none of that stuff matter; because WWE somehow botched a flag unfurling.

Roman Reigns, Daniel Bryan Backstage Promo
As I've already said- the teasing of Reigns being heel-ish is just a tease in my opinion. But it does add a dimension to his character we haven't really seen yet.

Daniel Bryan v Seth Rollins
Why were they wrestling? THIS IS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT DAMMIT. Despite all the little shots HHH took earlier on about the Cancel WWE Network stuff etc. its hardly a coincidence that on the first Live RAW since it all went down they give us a proper wrestling match as the Main Event. The match was absolutely sublime, and it reminded me to an extent of the CM Punk v John Cena match in the build to Mania 29 (?) the match with the piledriver in. I was expecting Reigns to take out Bryan and Rollins- leading to a Triple Threat at Fast Lane and keeping people guessing about Reigns' allegiance, but it seems they have something else in the works for Rollins- perhaps named Randall.

All in all it that was pretty decent, As far as 3 Hour Podcast Pre-Shows go, this was pretty good right?

Thanks for reading as always, Blizzards notwithstanding these'll be weekly again for as long as I can still muster some shred of motivation to do them- and you lot can muster a shred of motivation to read them. Thanks again, and I'll appreciate any of you sharing this around because I won't be around to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment