Tuesday 17 February 2015

RAW Review- 16th February

Hello! We're here for another RAW Review, and it was the last RAW before Fast Lane, so this was WWE's last opportunity to entice people to watch the PPV at no cost whatsoever. For once this RAW review will actually be new for everyone because I didn't put down my thoughts on Twitter last night in favour of being a Roman Reigns mark and saying I Am Groot in about 50 Different languages- so for once I don't have the frame for my Review, so this'll be fun. 

John Cena, Rusev w/ Lana Promo
The Cena Promo was- well a Cena Promo, although there was a distinct lack of Chumbawamba which was very disappointing. I do like the crux of the Cena promo was centered around the US Title, between the way they've had Ambrose chase Barrett and Cena going after Rusev they're really elevating the "secondary" belts- its taken over a year for them to realise the secondary belts need to mean something now there's only 1 Main Belt. You do have to respect the resolve of the Cena haters to boo on cue. The Lana promo was good- if not a bit generic, but it still got the message across and sold the feud well from a Heel perspective. I don't have a problem with Cena looking strong on RAW- provided Rusev looks strong (not wins via a demon child after taking out a whole destructive faction). I wouldn't even mind if Cena wins on Sunday as long as Rusev kills him for 19:57 of a 20:00 match. 

Dean Ambrose- Newsreader
This was quite funny, I'd have had him do "DNZ" and had him report on ridiculous "news" in a matter of fact tone before he got the part with BNB, the contract etc.- but thats just me. 

Dean Ambrose v Luke Harper
I thought this match was really good. One good thing from a fans point of view is that Ambrose's perceived lack of a major push at the minute has lead to him being paired with a lot of the guys who also deserve better- and they're wrestling matches to prove that point. Considering in the grand scheme of things it was a nothing match I thought it was handled really well- and really delivered. Again in a Fantasy Booking scenario I'd have had Ambrose get DQ'd by repeatedly hitting Harper with the IC Title contract, especially with what happened later on making him look the better of the two anyway. 

Triple H, Kane & Big Show Backstage Promo
MAY 19TH, MAY 19TH. 

Bray Wyatt (Part 1)
This was like the opening chapter of the story, this part was very cryptic- but I think it was meant to be given although we didn't know it at the time we were getting two more parts to the Promo- and everything became clearer. 

Goldust, Stardust & Polkadust Backstage Segment
We all knew the family reconciliation thing wasn't going to last- but they did a decent enough job selling the reconcile at the time. 

The New Day v The Dusts
The New Day are frustrating me, because Woods & Kingston in particular are capable of so much more than what they're currently doing- and there matches are becoming quite stagnant. The same can be said for The Dusts- but at least it seems they're going somewhere now. Stardust doing the Cross Rhodes was a nice touch- because we'll be seeing little parts of Cody Rhodes being filtered through in the next few weeks, it wouldn't surprise me to see him win a match via a Disaster Kick soon. 

Roman Reigns Promo
Ugh. 

Roman Reigns v Kane
I'm not exactly sure why they felt the need to protect Kane by giving Roman the count-out victory, but there we go. The many "Yes" chants were just a bit annoying in my opinion- it was just quite annoying, and although he'll never admit it; it wouldn't surprise me if he was sending a message to Vince about the standard of Roman matches. The dueling "You Can't Wrestle, Yes He Can" chants were pretty funny, and it'll probably turn into the new "Lets Go Cena, Cena Sucks". 

Bray Wyatt (Part 2)
The Hammer part of the promo was the middle chapter- and just set the whole thing up for the finale. 

Paige v Summer Rae
The Bellas have resorted to even more childish antics in order to let them be taken seriously. Between the Fake Tan spraying and putting Itching Powder in her clothes they stole her clothes. This lead the absolute hilarity of Paige having to wrestle in a Fairy costume- the banter levels were off the charts. How coincidental was it the Rosebud also wore Doc Martens by the way? The match was alright- it wasn't anything special, but it was a main roster Divas match so I don't know what else was expected. The promo's after were formulaic and did the job- nothing more, nothing less. 

Dolph Ziggler v Seth Rollins
Ah isn't it funny when they do inside jokes in promos? The Rollins promo was quite good in all honesty- the emphasis on the people poking into his business was as close to Rollins acknowledging what happened in the last week. The match was pretty good as well, if they were going to go for the DQ Finish I would have rather J&J came in after a Fame-asser or a Superkick to give you the "Dolph could have won" as opposed to "Dolph was going to win". I said the match was pretty good- but given who was involved is that really a surprise? J&J are the perfect foils for Rollins, because of their size they're perfect to take the beatings from Ryback & Rowan- and while it isn't locked in; if Bryan does show up in the Reigns v Lesnar mix it would appear they're angling toward a 6-Man for Mania. I would have preferred they had Rollins or Dolph win the Andre Battle Royal- but thats just me. 

Triple H, Ric Flair Promo
It was Ric Flair coming out to warn Terra Ryzing about Sting- in 2015, PROGRESS. I'm going to preface this by saying I understand why they did what they did, but they need to slow it down a bit, they've already brought out one of/if not Stings greatest rival and we're still over a month away from Mania, I just hope they're not letting the horse bolt too early which'll make the feud become stagnant before we even get to Mania. We've already seen HHH flip the switch so to speak when he turned on Flair- and we haven't even had the match being officially made yet. 

Darren Young & Norv Fernum (I Wish) v The Ascension
The jobber guy actually had a decent look, and he took the beating pretty well in all fairness so I hope he's down in the performance center. The Primetime Players coming back is welcome to me, we're on the brink of losing The Dusts- and I've always thought the PTP never really got a fair crack with all the AW Stuff, and seemingly every PPV everyone would be saying this is the time the PTP will win the belts- and they lost to Team Hell No predominantly every single time. I'm not really sure where The Ascension are on the pecking order with regard to the PTP- but I hope they aren't tossed aside because with their age it would be hard for them to rebuild fully before they're "past it". 

Bad News Barrett v Mizdow
The many different ways to distract Mizdow are starting to wear thin, and while they could stretch this out until Mania I'm not sure where they'd be able to fit it in all honesty- the Dusts feud has more traction, and more legs in terms of a feud in my opinion; and then if you look at what I think looks like the current card of Bryan v Reigns v Lesnar, Wyatt v Taker, Sting v HHH, Cody Rhodes v Goldust (I Hope he's Dustin Rhodes), Rollins & J&J v Dolph, Rowan and Ryback, Token Divas Match, Presumably something with The Uso's and maybe the Andre Battle Royal. Even if they were to take this feud through until Mania it would get an infinitesimal amount of time and wouldn't give us a good payoff.

50 Shades of Ambrose
This was really funny in a bizarre way, the way BNB sold it made the segment in my opinion. Not to take away from Ambrose because he's one of very few who could actually make the segment work without it being cheesy/rapey. Although it fits his character- didn't Miz say he would help BNB, while this could lead to something I highly doubt it, and it'll join the many loose ends WWE have yet to tie up. 

Naomi & Whatever Uso wanted his turn with her this week v Tyson Kidd & Natalya
So this whole feud stemmed from a double date- by the way Cesaro as a wingman would be heavenly. Kidd hiding behind Natalya is glorious, although it would never happen in a million years I'd love Cesaro to start running interference in Nattie's matches and start swinging Naomi. 

I Can't remember exactly when the third part of the Wyatt Promo's were, so here's that. For those of you who've seen "The Prestige" you'll know what I'm talking about here- and for those of you that haven't, what are you doing with your lives?! There's three parts to a magic trick, The Pledge, The Turn & The Prestige-and these three promos followed that formula- as did the film itself. It culminating with Bray banging a nail into a proverbial coffin gave us the biggest hint yet at The Undertaker- but it can also be interpreted as Bray opening Pandoras Box. 

Big Show v Daniel Bryan
Roman was a lot more creative in his distraction techniques you have to say, I'm not sure how much of it was a work with regard to who was positioned around ringside for him to sign stuff etc. but it was still pretty funny from my point of view to see the people in the background looking on enviously. Its these types of matches that make you fully understand when people say working Big Show, Kane etc. is easy, the match never really got out of 1st Gear, but like with the Kane match I'm not sure why they felt the need to protect Big Show by giving him the DQ win. 

Reigns, Bryan Brawl
This really sold the match in my opinion. I saw some people who are supposed experts saying "Don't give them too much now"- but the PPV is for free anyway, so why wait and give them a reason to tune in on Sunday much in the way they should do in a TV Scenario. Anyway, what do I know right?

Thanks for reading as always, as I said before I didn't have the frame for this review- so if I was rambling in places let me know. Anyway, I'll be back with the Wrasslin in preparation for Fast Lane, so stay tuned for those predictions and all of that other good stuff. I know this was a longer than usual review- but WWE gave us so many segments to contend with. 

No comments:

Post a Comment