Wednesday 10 December 2014

RAW Review- 8th December

Hey! I know this is up later than usual, I'm sorry if the delay caused you to go into mass hysteria- but Deal with It. Believe it or not, I as a Wrestling Fan do know what the mythical "outside" is; and the reason for the delay is in part because I went to see the new Hunger Games & went to a fake Nandos, and also had a hospital appointment. So picture the scene, I'm absolutely soaked from walking home; pretty dehydrated and one of my eyes is puffy from me accidentally rubbing some spicy sauce wizardry into it by accident.

So anyway, welcome to my Hunger Games review, it was pretty decent. Now Wrasslin... Yeah!

I didn't watch the Pre-Show and as I'll discuss the awards are bullshit anyway, so I'm not gonna look at them in any great depth.

Seth Green & The Miz's
I honestly zones out during Greens introduction speech, I think he said something about pre-determined award shows and how this was different. I'm honestly not sure if that was a joke or Vince fed him that line, either way it was bullshit. I'd put in the Karl Pilkington Meme but It'd make this blog longer than Jerichos submission list.  Mizdow was awesome as always, I really liked when he briefly broke character to give Green a cheeky wink- just because it shows that he really gets comic timing.

Dolph Ziggler v Seth Rollins
I liked the match for what it was, the problem with matches during "Slammy" RAWs is they're so regimented in terms of time you're never going to get an outstanding match on this edition of RAW. Both of these two are capable of putting on a good match, but with the Slammys the matches feel like they're booked as a nuisance to the award show, which is stupid because its a Fake Wrestling Award Show. I'll touch more on this later, but it seems like they want to treat the Slammys as a legitimate award show.

"This is Awesome" Moment of the Year: Sting at Survivor Series- Fair Enough. I think Rollins intercepted a couple of awards on the Pre-Show, and I wish they'd made that his gimmick for the whole night, kind of like what Batista did with Maria, but across all of the awards.

Stardust v Kofi Kingston
As with Dolph and Rollins, these two (gimmick aside) can put on a great match. But again, what we got was a really condensed match that didn't really do much for anybody. Since when was a Crossbody a Finisher?!

People Power!

Surprise Return of the Year: Ultimate Warrior. surprise
səˈprʌɪz/
noun
  1. 1.
    an unexpected or astonishing event, fact, etc.
    "the announcement came as a complete surprise"
    synonyms:shock, bolt from/out of the blue, thunderboltbombshellrevelation,source of amazement, rude awakening, eye-openerMore

Since when did pre-emptive vignettes come under this category? 


Seth Rollins, Paul Heyman Backstage Promo
Any Heyman promo is worth watching, if he was talking about Khali I'd listen happily- in fact Heyman could probably even get Khali over, yes I know he's fired now #ChopNation4Life.

Charlotte v Natalya
Yup, one of my 10 Match of the Year nominations was on RAW. Charlottes main roster debut was something I was anticipating, however I didn't think she'd be the NXT representative on this RAW. As such we got this match, and once again it was condensed- there was some good wrestling in the match but it just wasn't given enough time. Also, Natalya hasn't exactly been on a run; and this was her facing the NXT Womens Champion in an attempt to build to the NXT "PPV, so of course Nattie beat her clean.

Shocking Moment of the Year: Brock ends the Streak, No Complaints about the award; just the means to the end.

Bray Wyatt, Dean Ambrose Segment
As with Heyman, any Wyatt promo is good. Only Wyatt could sell a chair being destroyed as some ridiculous tragedy. I liked the Ambrose entrance, the crowd popping like they did always helps with an entrance. I'm not sure which city they were in, but I wouldn't want to get into an accident in the city where an ambulance has a Table, Ladder and Steel Chair in the back of it. I don't like the fact they've had Ambrose get the upper hand on the lead in PPV to TLC because this is the PPV I saw as having the blowoff with Ambrose winning with both (hopefully) moving onto something big for Mania season.

Diva of the Year: A.J. I happy A.J. won, not just for the fact it wasn't a Bella but her speech actually meant something- as opposed to the Nikki promo where she would have been spouting her "Fearless" bullshit.

John Cena Backstage Promo
Theres a line between putting someone over as a heel, and burying someone and this was just about on it. Cena outright saying Rollins can't pin or submit him was stupid- because reading between the lines Cena doesn't think Rollins is a threat to him. Or am I thinking too much?

Erick Rowan v Luke Harper
This never really got going, I don't get why this couldn't have been the IC Title Feud. And before you say about Rematch Clauses Randy still hasn't had his WWEWHC Rematch, nor has The Rock from Mania 29. I liked the fact they made Rowan look good, because with respect to Rowan- Harpers better; so if they can make hay while the sun is shining with Rowan its good for everyone, I don't have a doubt when Harper gets his chance to shine he'll grab it with both hands.

Naomi's Going to Hollywood
In your bunker yet?

LOL Moment of the Year: The Conference Call where they announced the number of Network Subs, but really it was Mizdow. Out of the 4 they had on the list Mizdow was the best; but the fact they completely ignore the Bad News Barrett at the Hall of Fame & Bo running over Torito really annoyed me, at least I can claim my Sammy Awards are hipster.

Jack Swagger, Rusev Brawl
Zebs broken leg needed a Z-Pack so he wasn't here today. I like the new aggressive Swagger, I'm partially reminded of the time (I Can't remember the year) where Swagger was "breaking" ankles and killing people like Big Show with the Ankle Lock. While I don't think he'll beat Rusev, if they can make him look like a legitimate contender to Rusev I'll be happy.

Ryback and The Usos v Kane and the Miz's
Another match that was too condensed to be any good. Given the way they'd pushed the Miz's throughout the night I thought they'd have won the match in some contrived way, also who voted The Usos for Tag Team of the Year?! Mizdow suplexing himself was probably the highlight of the episode though, although that isn't saying much.

Match of the Year: Team Cena v Team Authority. Again, out of the 4 they had on the list it was the best option. However the fact The Shield v The Wyatts not even being nominated was an abomination. I liked they gave Dolph the speech though, they could've easily had Cena take the spotlight.

A.J. v Summer Rae
Meh.

"Extreme" Moment of the Year: Jerichos Steel Cage dive. Out of the 4 this was probably the best option, however I'd argue that The Rollins, Ambrose Cell Spot was the most "Extreme" Moment of the Year. No idea why Fandango accepted the award, I swear to god if they him feud with Jericho when he's on RAW Next Week I'll do... Something.

Superstar of the Year: Roman Reigns. We're making the guy who's been on the shelf for 3 Months, Not won a Singles Title in his entire WWE Career, and been carried in every singles PPV match he's had look REALLY STRONG today guys!

John Cena v Big Show
This was about as exciting as you can imagine, the only thing of note was possibly the loosest sleeper hold ever. The aftermath was stupid, I don't get why they decided to pack the build for pretty much every match of the card into the space of 5 minutes.

Thanks as always for reading, I'm sorry if this is a bit shorter- but after RAW last night and going out today I've had one eye on my pillow since I got in. As always thanks for reading, lets face it; its not like this blog can be any worse than the actual episode right... Right?!

P.S. Something Productive did come out of watching RAW last night... I Rediscovered this






No comments:

Post a Comment