Saturday 11 April 2015

Fulham v Wigan Review: The Good, The Bad & The Stafylidis

Welp. We didn't lose today- if there's something you wanted to take from the game you may as well start there. I'm not sure what the prize money is like in the Championship but I'm guessing there's a minimal difference between the positions we can realistically achieve at this stage of the season- and while a win would have been nice, we didn't lose and I think we've all but sent Wigan down (if they weren't already). The attention with regard to the relegation battle from our perspective is now firmly on Millwall- they're playing Watford tomorrow and if they pick up something from them then I'll start to really get on edge again about us going down. Football is a weird game without a doubt- which is why until we're mathematically safe I won't be content.

The goals from both sides were almost polar opposites of each other. McCormack's goal was a perfectly placed shot- I said in my Preview that it's nice to have a striker who I perceive to be off form and looking a bit lethargic to be picking up goals still. Smith's goal was also a really good strike- both goals for us came from largely nothing; and we looked devoid of any creativity pretty much all game, which I was pretty much expecting when I saw the team selection; and I don't care what Kit says he wanted the Draw today- so we got what he wanted. The Wigan goals were just annoying, giving away fouls in those areas are always dangerous- and we were punished today via Pennant; I didn't like him milking the tackle from Kavanagh but it was a quality Free-Kick so credit where credit is due. CORNERS. When will we learn to defend at bloody corners- I think it was Pearce who scored their second, and he simply wanted it more; we were playing like the away team pretty much all match and it was clear that Wigan simply wanted it more, characterised by the second Wigan goal.

I don't think Bettinelli had a save to make all game- once again the only thing he really did all game (other than boot it up the pitch after countless backward passes) was pick the ball out of the back of the net- which seems to be a common theme in recent games.

It's weird considering we conceded two goals, but I thought all in all we defended alright today- granted against a very poor Wigan front-line. On balance I thought Grimmer was our best player tonight, he was up and down the line like a proper Right-Back and with the very limited games between now and the end of the season I'd like to see us giving him game-time, or if we are playing Jazz Richards have some sort of verbal agreement that we're signing him in the Summer. Turner and Burn looked solid again, they dealt with pretty much everything thrown at them- but I'm conditioning that with the fact Fortune, and then Waghorn were really poor and didn't exactly test the pairing; which is why I'm still not sold on Burn's long-term future in the team. Husband was quite indifferent today- in terms of an attacking threat this was his quietest of his games for us so far, but considering how quickly the games have come- and I'm not sure how much game time Husband had for Boro this season but it is understandable to a degree that he looked a bit off the pace today.

The reason I was convinced we were playing for a point today was the Midfield Selection. The most important thing today was that we didn't lose- I'll admit it; but I'd hoped we would show some sort of attacking intent with the Selection today, the Midfield I wanted us to with I thought at least had a good balance to it- and would've made us dominate the Midfield- what we had instead was Wigan properly overrunning us in the Midfield and us ending up having to play like the Away Team. Kavanagh looks really unsure of himself- I do like Kavanagh and he has shown a lot of potential in some games this season, but there's better options available for the Midfield- two of which were on the bench today, one of which didn't even come on. Parker is a weird player, there's some games i.e. Derby where he looks like a top draw midfielder for this level and then there's games like today where he just slows everything down and he harms the team a lot more than he helps us- but I'm conditioning that with I do think we need him in the team, just because we don't really have anyone to fulfill the "Parker Role" as Kit clearly doesn't see Hoogland as being able to do it (even if I do, but then again what do I know). Speaking of Hoogland, I do like him- he's just being used entirely the wrong way- which falls at the feet of Kit- he isn't a wide player, he doesn't have the pace or the energy in order to play a Wide role. Tunnicliffe is a limited player without a doubt, I think even he'd admit it- but why I like Tunnicliffe, and why I'll stick with him is his commitment- he was one of the few players tonight that actually looked like he cared and got stuck in.

McCormack showed signs of his quality- but in a game where we had such limited possession and the way we played when we did have the possession of the ball McCormack's opportunities were limited today- I'll talk more about the sub a bit later on- but in my opinion he looked out on his feet by the time he was subbed. Smith was another one who looked shattered- he needs someone to feed him as much as anything else, and with the way we were set-up Smith's opportunities to do anything other than challenge for balls launched up to him were limited, and when he did get the ball on the ground he scored from 25 yards.

The Subs were pretty much the most contentious issues of the night, I did hear a few boos for the Smith sub- but I'm not sure why because Smith looked quite tired- and it's not like bringing on Woodrow was a negative sub, and Woodrow is a competent Striker- who had limited chances to actually score tonight, he should have arguably taken the chance he had late on- but it was a decent save from Carson. Anyone who doesn't think Bryan Ruiz has a place in this team- close the window right now and never come back, yes Bryan had a limited impact tonight- but he's one of our only players who can pick a pass with attacking intent and while we have him we really can't afford not to use him. The Sub that really got on everyone's nerves was Stafylidis for McCormack, McCormack or Hoogland should've came off after around 80 Minutes in my opinion while the main goal was to not lose- we should have at least tried for the win and brought on either Kacaniklic or Rodallega- who are both limited players, but are at least attack minded.

I didn't join in with the "You Don't Know What you're Doing" chant and boos that came as a result of the sub, I'm not even massively upset after the game today because we didn't lose- and as soon as I saw the team selection that was what I expected to happen and the goal of the day. I don't want Kit next season- while I can't speak for Khan I've got a feeling we're going to give Kit the summer which'll be a huge mistake because we need a proper Championship Manager to build a squad that at the very least will challenge for the Top 6 by bringing in a few players in conjunction with Mike Rigg and helping develop the spine of the team.

Thanks for reading as always, we're another game down on what has become a truly dreadful season- which I can't wait to be over. The two Millwall games tomorrow and on Tuesday before our next game will determine how I view the Rotherham and Blackpool games in terms of team selection and outlook on the game- but anyway that's for another day- and all we can do is become day long Watford fans tomorrow. Thanks again, and remember- it can only get better, right? RIGHT?!

No comments:

Post a Comment