Tuesday 13 January 2015

RAW Review- 12th January

Hello! Its another RAW Review, *yay*. After last weeks car crash it could only get better, don't worry the guy driving the ambulance was sacked. But seriously, it couldn't get worse than last week- Could It?

The Authority, John Cena Promo
A new and exciting opening segment really got the juices flowing for the whole show last night. The promos are alright don't get me wrong, but when you've heard almost the exact same Promo with the Names interchanged even an amazing promo can wear thin eventually. Everyone played role at least adequately, and I suppose it was a good way to set up the first match.

Seth Rollins v John Cena- Lumberjack Match
The Best thing about this match, they really made Rollins look like a legitimate threat in this match- I mean he had to win dirty, he is a heel after all; but at least Rollins took Cena to the absolute edge before the heelish antics got in the way, right? I'm not so much going to review this match as have a mini-rant. Seth v Cena should be Headlining PPVs, but instead they've given us this match- or a form of it with regard to Tag Matches, Handicap etc. so many times WHEN it headlines a PPV it won't mean anything because we've all seen it a million times before. While I don't agree with giving Brock the Title, the fact he wrestles such a limited schedule makes every match he's in mean something. This especially doesn't make sense given the fact the potential pairings for Cena are pretty much unlimited at this point.

New Day v Cesaro and Tyson Kidd
Firstly, I'm happy Cesaro got a defined spot in the Lumberjack match when he swung Cena into the barricade. The match was perfectly fine, but it won't ever be anything more than that with the current gimmick dynamic.

Big Show, Roman Reigns Promo
One Promo was well though, delivered impeccably and was really rather good- the other came from the person earmarked as a future Main Eventer. I'm not quite sure why Roman, or rather Vince felt the need to tell us a bedtime story- it was appreciated don't get me wrong; but usually I try to stay awake.

Roman Reigns v Luke Harper
This match was pretty average, at least the crowd got really into the match- and got firmly behind Roman which leaves me hopeful he will get his deserved Main Event Pu- Oh Wait, They were chanting "Lets Go Harper".

Alicia Fox v Naomi
I don't think literally handicapping Divas is the way to go. The only thing of note from this match was the worst execution of a scissor kick I think I've ever seen.

Dean Ambrose's Evaluation
The first two segments weren't really noteworthy so I left both of them for this bit, this was the first comedy segment WWE have done that I've laughed at for a long time (for the reason they intended it to be funny). Ambrose's delivery was great for all of these segments, the only thing I would have done to improve it would have been to bring Dr. Shelby back rather than a random indy guy- as I could definitely see Dr. Shelby and Ambrose having chemistry. The last skit was pretty uncomfortable in my opinion, to my best knowledge the "Psychiatrist" was neutral- and Ambrose shredding him was just uncomfortable in my opinion. I know he isn't a "clean-cut" babyface, but still.

Paul Heyman Promo
I think the only real fantasy is that Paul Heyman can do a Bad Promo.

The Miz v Jey Uso
You know, "back in my day" I always thought that a feud ended when the babyface conquered the dastardly heel- apparently that is no longer the case. The match was pretty average, similar to the Rollins-Cena dynamic- the matches they put on can be good; but when you see them so frequently you get jaded pretty quickly to the pairing.

Daniel Bryan, Stephanie McMahon Promo/Daniel Bryan, Kane Brawl
This was just a way to reintroduce Bryan's moveset to the "Casual" fan in my opinion. Its not a secret that Bryan isn't an amazing promo, but he got his message across in a concise way. Stephanie's promos are always at least half decent- and this was no exception, but once again the problem is we've seen a variation of said promo 2.7 Billion (conservative estimate) already.

Brie Bella v Paige
Tyson Kidd was in multiple segments, so this was the best RAW ever.

Bray Wyatt Promo
It almost feels like a disservice to say a Wyatt Promo is good now.

Randy Savage HOF Induction
I'm happy it actually happened, I was almost convinced it wasn't going to happen when they were saying "expected" with regard to his induction for close to 2 and a Half Hours. But this was one of the HOF Inductions that simply had to happen eventually.

The Ascension v Unnamed Jobbers
One of the jobbers had really good tights, thats what I took from this match. Ascension should at the very least be squashing active main roster stars as opposed to random jobbers. Although I get the feeling their whole gimmick is going to be squashing unnamed jobbers and getting a big head- with the commentators burying them week-in week-out on commentary because Vince has utter contempt for almost everyone who's made themselves in NXT.

Lana, Rusev Promo
This was pretty standard with regard to the Rusev & Lana Promos, They really need to find something for them to sink their teeth into- which doesn't involve beating Ambrose.

Rusev v Dean Ambrose
I didn't mind the finish if I'm honest, a DQ loss for Rusev wouldn't have done anyone any favours in my opinion because it'd have entailed Rusev destroying Ambrose in order to facilitate the DQ. Of course, this whole thing could have been avoided had they not booked themselves into a corner in the first place with the pairing.

WWEWHC Contract Signing
I Really liked Rollins' promo from this segment. It could be to do with his voice, but his promos are pretty hit and miss in my opinion- but this one was a really good one. I think they should give Rollins and Cena an "Enemy of My Enemy is My Friend" dynamic with regard to Lesnar- because he is clearly the biggest threat out of the three. Brock sold the Curb Stomp better than almost anyone I've seen, which really surprised me- I liked the fact Rollins got the upper hand, and if it were up to me I'd have Brock completely destroy everything until the Rumble- and go on to win and have him look really good going into Mania.

Overall this RAW was average, but that is quite an accomplishment the way the WWE has been lately- and its safe to say this was the best RAW of the Year.

Thanks as always for reading, I'm writing this during the Fulham game thats going on at the minute so I'm not entirely sure which blog I'm going to put up first- but either way I hope you enjoyed this one and are still enjoying these reviews- in terms of Wrasslin my next blog will be an Impact Review most likely so stay tuned for that; and thanks again.

No comments:

Post a Comment