Monday 24 November 2014

Survivor Series Review- STING!!!

HEY! I've had some sleep, I didn't get much because I was so pumped after that Main Event- I was considering just doing my review last night but then I'd have probably said everything was great, as such I'm doing it now; so lets get down to business.

Pre-Show: Fandango v Justin Gabriel
I'm happy this match happened for one reason- It means they're not having Rosa wrestle for the foreseeable future. Thank God. The match itself was alright for what it was- a vehicle to get Fandango over, however if they were to have his "rebirth" include a new theme, something I disagree with as he can still be quite over with the crowd "Fandangoing" he'd have used a new finisher, preferably something a bit stiffer to go with his new darker persona.

Pre-Show: Jack Swagger v Cesaro
This match was the definition of filler, which really annoys me because both of these men have shown in recent months they're capable, and should have so much more than a filler spot on the card. The match itself was good, but was it really a good idea to have Swagger be "injured" to the point he had to pull out of Team Cena then have him wrestle and win a match on the PPV?

The Authority Promo
Hey, its the standard RAW opening on a PPV! The promos weren't even that good in my opinion, and was basically a rehash of what we've seen on recent RAWs, except it was on a PPV. In the words of a certain Randall... STUPID.

The Miz's v The Dusts v Los Matadores v The Usos
This was a really fun match to watch, its not a Match of the Year candidate by any stretch of the imagination- but what we got was 8 very capable workers who all brought something to the table which meant a very good match to watch. The spot where everyone jumps into everyone else made me laugh for some reason, perhaps because we've seen it so many times before. I'm happy they had Miz & Mizdow win; despite my prediction to the contrary I had hoped Miz & Mizdow would win. As such the finish we got was perfect, with Mizdow tagging in to Miz's unawares and winning the straps. It also makes me laugh how not only Miz, but also everyone in the 4-Way can play off Mizdow's new found popularity to get heat on them.

Team Fox v Team Paige
Don't get me started on this match. I could do a whole blog on what was wrong with this match, however I'll try and condense it the best I can. Basically, Why? Why did they have Paige and Paige's team lose so convincingly? I'd have thought they'd have at the very least had Paige eliminate Emma, who she's destroyed on RAW on more than one occasion- in fact she's beaten all 4 Divas on the other side more than once.

Elimination Order:
Cameron (Naomi): No Complaints from me, the less Cameron I see on my Screen the better as far as I'm concerned, I would never wish ill on anyone- but out of all the Divas on the Roster she's the one I wish they'd just release already.

Layla (Alicia Fox): I'd forgotten she was even still active, I don't see her still being a Diva in 2015, and from a WWE standpoint she's probably the most expendable Diva on the Roster.

Summer Rae (Emma): I don't know if they're planning some sort of Paige-Summer feud, but Paige constantly screaming at Summer telling her how stupid she was, was weirdly funny. I'm also happy to see Emma get an elimination because she deserves better.

Paige (Naomi): I thought she'd go on and eliminate all 4 and Paige would be a made Diva, and could go on and feud for the Title again, as such she got eliminated within 2 Minutes of being on her own. Although the Leg Scissor DDT Naomi did looked brutal, its a bit contrived, and if its going to be her new finisher she needs to work out a way to set it up better- but it has the advantage of looking like a real finisher as opposed to the "Rear View".

Bray Wyatt v Dean Ambrose
I'm torn on this match. On the one hand, I'd have preferred Bray to win with some shenanigans to keep the heat on Bray going into the TLC match- however what they did instead was essentially what Bray was trying to get Cena to do at Wrestlemania, with regard to the temptation of selling their souls to destroy Bray. I liked the absolute brutality with which Ambrose delivered the beat down on Bray, however the commentators referring to Bray as a "human being" really annoyed me. The actual match was shaping up really well before the abrupt ending, and I have high hopes (as I did for this one) that the match they'll deliver at TLC will be great.

Slater Gator v Adam Rose & The Bunny
Are we sure this isn't Superstars?

Nikki Bella v A.J. Lee
I went to get a bottle of water when this match was live, I think Brie didn't take orders from Nikki before she kissed her so I'm counting my theory as true- I'm just hoping they take the belt off of Nikki before I lose any residual interest I have in the Divas Division from the A.J.-Paige feud, which although they didn't really deliver had people talking about the Division again.

Team Cena v Team Authority
WOW. In my preview blog I highlighted a way to have Dolph shine on the PPV, but Never in a million years did I expect Dolph to effectively win the match for Team Cena- and he is now a made man in my opinion, As long as WWE don't completely screw it up Dolph has a new lease on life, and could go on to feud with Lesnar if he needs a filler feud in between big PPVs. 

I honestly didn't believe the Sting rumours until half way through the Main Event when it was clear the Authority weren't going to let it be a fair fight. The sound quality on my stream wasn't the best, but I don't think we got the full Starrcade 97 Speech Entrance before he came out, which is what I'd have done- however thats really nitpicking at this near perfect moment. A Moment some people never thought would happen, happened and everyone who was watching it last night can say they were watching live when STING, The WCW Legends finally stepped foot in a WWE Ring. I don't accept people bitching about Sting coming in and it would appear feuding with HHH, anyone who wasn't happy with the Sting debut last night isn't a proper Wrestling Fan.

Elimination Order:
Mark Henry (Big Show): I'd have had Kane in this position, just because Henry has looked threatening in recent weeks, destroying Show on more than once occasion- and the only thing of note I can think of Kane in the build to this match was him tripping over Orton a few weeks back. However it fulfilled the same role as The Authority were put on the back foot after losing one of their "heavies" straight out of the gate.

Ryback (Rusev): So they spent two consecutive RAWs in the build to the PPV building Ryback as the scale tipper for this match- so he's the first one to eliminated on Team Cena... Logic. Its not a secret I'm a fan of Ryback, so you could perhaps say I'm looking at this from the wrong angle- but for Ryback to be the first one to go on a team with Rowan, Big Show and Dolph makes little sense to me.

Rusev (Spanish Announce Table): This is what they should've done with Ryback, it was a good way to protect Rusev from being pinned whilst still eliminating him from the match. The fact he wasn't  just KO'd, but actually made some attempt at getting back in the ring also added to the toughness surrounding his character. It was about time someone put the Spanish Announce Table Over.

Erick Rowan (Luke Harper): The clothesline on the part of Harper for this pin looked particularly brutal. Its probably because they were presumably riding with each other for quite a while and know what the other can take, but every time these two touched in the ring last night it looked really stiff, which is a good thing in my book. I don't know if Rowan will go back to chasing Renee or feud with Harper for the IC Title- I hope its the latter because he proved in this match he's very capable of being a credibly singles star who can get the crowd behind him.

John Cena (No Really) (Seth Rollins): I don't think anybody expected Cena to be eliminated third on Team Cena. With the repercussions from the finish I'm praying the TLC Main Event isn't locked in. This also was a great storytelling device with regard to the complete shock value of the whole thing.

Big Show (Ironclad Contract): Big Show walking out was a bit stupid, but if I think with my logic cap on, why didn't he tag Dolph in forcefully and then KO him to- and then walk out? Goddamn Logic.

Kane (Dolph Ziggler): This was almost outta nowhere, and added to the drama even more that there was still some fight left in Dolph- and taking out a guy like Kane for Dolph made it a big deal and got the crowd reinvested in the match in the  "Santino Elimination Chamber" way of you just started to question if he was actually going to do it. But surely not?

Luke Harper (Dolph Ziggler): This elimination coming so soon after the previous one really heated up the crowd- who weren't the best last night and it added to the drama of the match massively, and it was at this stage with The Authority freaking out you knew A Man Called Sting was going to enter...

Seth Rollins (Dolph Ziggler): Firstly, credit to HHH. I don't even think Vince could've done a better job playing the cowardly heel who wouldn't accept defeat at any cost. The fact he himself took out the two referees and then took out Dolph was played to perfection- and made what would follow mean even more. The absolute desperation with which HHH fought to keep Dolph from winning was absolutely sublime.

Sting coming out, having the prolonged stareoff with HHH had be convinced it was going to be an "nWo" moment of Sting dropping the proverbial leg on Dolph- but I'm so happy it wasn't. The rest as they say is history- and for the first time in a long time this was a PPV I'd have happily paid for. Dolph as the Sole Survivor on a Team with Cena and Ryback is a smarks wet dream- and Sting sends them over the edge.

Thanks for reading, as always any feedback is appreciated.For the first time in a long time I'd like to take this opportunity to say thank you to the WWE- you gave us a truly great moment, and for the first time in a long time I'm genuinely excited for RAW- don't let me down.

No comments:

Post a Comment