Friday 19 September 2014

Fulham v Blackburn Preview/ Magath Out Thoughts

He's Gone!

It took a mass exodus, numerous mediocre signings, and taking 1 Point from 7 games. But the Last Dictator in Europe is gone from the Cottage. As such I shall never mention his name again, and he is dead to me.

Kit Symons coming in is something which has been long sought after for quite a while it seems, and in my opinion its his job for losing at the moment. Although there are some more "experienced" options, there isn't a man alive who isn't as experienced with the current crop of young players we have seemingly forming the basis of our team. I'm not expecting Kit to play the whole youth team- what I am expecting is the youth players we have to be played right. I don't expect to see Kavanagh, Burgess, R. Williams, Joronen and Dembele in the starting eleven in the League anytime soon. I'm also expecting to see Hyndman, Bettinelli and Pat Roberts becoming a key part to the team over time (if Kit were to get the job full-time, or at least have the ear of whoever did take the helm).

I'm praying to god we never see Fotheringham in a Fulham shirt for the rest of time. He is quite possible the worst signing we've ever made, and is atrocious to everyone but the eyes of He Who Shall Not Be Named.

The Damage "he" has caused isn't fully apparent yet, but we're going to be stuck with quite a few below average or downright awful players sponging off our wage bill as a result of him. Players like Chihi, Kiraly and Fotheringham you have to assume will be earning pretty decent money, which their ability doesn't match- and will be taking wages that whoever is in charge could potentially use in January to sign good quality players.

The lack of communication from the club in my opinion has come from the top, and the interview with Sarah Brookes on YouTube today has shown that he simply didn't care about the fans- and that bond between fans and manager is crucial for any manager to succeed in my opinion.

Now onto a happier topic. Kit Symons in one interview has filled me with more confidence than 7 months under Magath. Symons actually makes sense in what he says, and the things he says (if put into practice) could bring a very bright future for Fulham. The absolutely overwhelming number of Ex-Players coming out in support of Symons has shown the regard in which he is held, and he seems like he already has the respect of the players at the club- and they'll be playing for Symons rather than in spite of the prior manager.

Symons speaking about rotation isn't what "he" was doing. "He" was simply ripping the team up and starting again characterised by the stat of playing 5 goalkeepers in his time at the club. I accept rotation is necessary in the Championship- but what I expect to happen now is we see a definitive core of players that start week-in week-out with rotation around them.

One of those who I think could be in the core of the team is someone who Kit Symons has described as "very upbeat", Ruiz could add the creative spark which he undoubtedly possesses and will also provide an experienced, calm head among the young players- and if we can build our team around Bryan (as well as a few others) he WILL flourish and I expect bright things, and judging by the pictures of training out today he looks very happy and doesn't have the "I Don't want to be here" body language which I noticed quite a few possessed under "him".

I also expect to see a decisive decision made about the Goalkeeper situation, I would hope Bettinelli comes in and STAYS as he has looked the best of the three options we have available. Not to say Kiraly and Joronen are completely useless- but 5 Goals, with 5 Shots on Target on Wednesday has shown Kiraly simply isn't good enough for us, and in Symons attempt in his words to "try and rectify" the defensive woes which have dogged us for what feels like forever I would expect Bettinelli to start, and as I've previously stated have a constant pairing with the Centre-Backs in front of him. Any combination involving Burn, Amorebieta and Bodurov would be very good for us- as I don't want Amorebieta playing Left-Back I would play him and Burn as the Centre-Backs, with Bodurov being a "Third Option" if we're going to play against a team with a particularly fast striker. I just feel Amorebieta and Burn would be able to deal with the physicality the Championship brings.

The Right-Back position is interesting as I feel Hoogland is better in the holding midfield role he took up against Cardiff, as such I would give Voser the Right-Back slot with Hyndman covering the right-hand side- I feel this would be the best we've got as Voser is a competent Right-Back, but can't cross-, so we should give him the Right-Back slot- but in an attacking sense his job should only consist of laying it off to another Midfielder. Left-Back could be a dilemma for Symons as Amorebieta (despite his pace) did show himself to be somewhat decent at Left-Back and his delivery for Rodallega's goal was absolutely top notch, however as stated above I'd keep Amorebieta central and therefore its up to Stafylidis to prove himself- and if he doesn't we can easily change Amorebieta to Left-Back with Bodurov covering him with the extra yard of pace he possesses.

The Midfield is pretty straight forward in my opinion. The players we have lends itself to a 3 Midfielder Formation, and unless we recalled Tunnicliffe the only three midfielders from my standpoint I think we should play are Hyndman, Parker and Hoogland. This provides the best balance in my opinion- and would allow the attacking options we have to flourish.

The Attackers are interesting, I would keep Rodallega and McCormack without a doubt after Wednesday until they prove why they shouldn't be in there- leaving one position empty. As stated above I would play Ruiz just behind the strikers in an attacking midfield role, however Ruiz is quite versatile and he could easily play Striker ahead of Rodallega with Chris David slotting in behind- this is where rotation will come into play, however for now I'd have Ruiz behind Rodallega and McCormack (who was sublime on Wednesday).

My Team for Blackburn (4-3-1-2)
                Bettinelli
Voser Burn Amorebieta Stafylidis
    Hyndman Hoogland Parker
                   Ruiz
McCormack       Rodallega

The core of the team which I referred to earlier would in my opinion be; Bettinelli, Burn, Hyndman, Parker, Ruiz, McCormack.

This team would be very good under the right man- and I hope we've found that man in Symons, we also have many rotation options which as Symons rightly said is crucial for this level. However for now we need to think short-term and get ourselves out of the relegation zone.

Thanks again for reading, hopefully its onwards and upwards from here on in.

No comments:

Post a Comment