Tuesday 24 November 2015

RAW Review: 23rd November

Hello! Well, the last two days have definitely been days where Wrestling has happened. I can't really go much further than that. If it wasn't already obvious, I didn't bring out a Survivor Series Review yesterday. Unlike some other times I've missed out on doing a Review, it wasn't for a health reason or anything like that- there just wasn't any good talking points from the PPV. Genuinely, at a stretch I could have gotten about two talking points out of the PPV last night. That's the dangers of predictability. Anyway, we're back here now for the RAW Review- and I'll try and incorporate some Survivor Series thoughts where appropriate.

The Authority, Sheamus & Roman Reigns Promo
I suppose I'll get the Sheamus Cash-In thoughts out of the way now. I liked it, genuinely. As soon as we got (at a push) a 10 Minute Main Event- with 20 Minutes left on the PPV literally everyone knew Sheamus was cashing in. When it happened it wasn't a surprise, but it definitely worked- and I was happy(ish) with the outcome so more power to them. The only thing that they should have done differently in respect of a Cash-In in my opinion would have been to not have Reigns win the Title. He didn't need to, to be blunt. They should have had Reigns' first Title win actually mean something, and really build up to it- if it were up to me at Mania. The same thing happened with Bryan at Summerslam, I'm not saying the "Wrestlemania Moment" wasn't great- but if it was the first time he'd got his hands on the Title it would have been even better in my opinion. Speaking of Bryan, you lot will want to see Daniel Bryan v Sheamus at Mania now won't you? The long-con.

The actual segment was pretty standard, I like Sheamus- and to a point I actually like Roman but I can't say I'm looking forward to these two Triple H and Stephanie in the Opening Segment for the foreseeable future. I'll talk about the Rusev stuff more a bit later, but for now all I can say is that it was a pretty good return.

The Wyatts (Bray Wyatt & Luke Harper) v The Dudleys
I think it's a pretty safe bet to say the angle they did after the match was a way to write The Dudleys off of TV. They might be working toward Wyatts/Dudleys at TLC, and I'd be in favour of that just to see Harper to crazy shit like he did last year with Dolph- but I don't really see any point in all of it. I've loved Bray/The Wyatts since their incarnation- but even I've got the point now where I just can't really give a fuck about them. I knew I was wrong to predict the Wyatts would win once Harper was in the match at Survivor Series instead of Strowman- but it still annoyed me a bit. The whole thing about The Wyatts is simply that they're just a bit shit. He/They win what I'd call "second tier" feuds, and as soon as they move up to the "top tier" they immediately drop back down.

Sasha Banks v Becky Lynch
This was a pretty standard match, which is a shame because we obviously know they're capable of a lot more. There's genuinely not much else to say, apart from the fact it seems they've dropped the Natalya angle with Team BAD- which is annoying but not exactly a surprise.

Paige Backstage Interview
This little segment was some weird one where Michael Cole can communicate with the outside world via magic. Once I got over the fact Cole could talk to Paige in the Backstage Area through some Black Magic fuckery, it was a pretty standard Promo. I got pissed at the time because Paige instead of attempting to go for the Ropes actually moved further into the Ring at Survivor Series- but at least that was by design. It was a stupid design, but designed it was.

The New Day's First Anniversary Country Music Jamboree & WWE Tag Team Title Open Challenge
Have I mentioned at any point over the last 6-7 Months that I love New Day? Because I love New Day. This segment wasn't necessarily the best content wise, but New Day were so fucking amazing in the segment. Everything from Kofi's fucking Unicorn Horn Hair to the Unicorn's on Sticks it was all just amazing on the part of the New Day. New Day can genuinely make anything work, if literally anyone else on the current roster came out dressed like New Day and we had the sort of segment we had it would have been "Worst Segment of the Year" in the Sammy's next month. With New Day it was as good as it really could be. I'm assuming this segment is setting up a Triple Threat Tag-Team match at TLC with The Usos and The Lucha Dragons, and I'm perfectly happy with that.

Charlotte Backstage Promo
As with the Paige one it was a pretty standard Promo, except not delivered as well because Charlotte. It was also completely devoid of Black Magic fuckery, so really what was the point?

Neville v Mark Henry
This is the sort of match that when you get it on RAW, you know there's a bit of an injury crisis. The WWE are scrambling for literally anyone with a shred of credibility left and are trying to build them a bit with the number of people they've got out injured. One of them is Neville, who it looks as though he's going to feud with The Miz- it could definitely be worse. The match was pretty standard, it feels wrong to be criticising Mark Henry in-terms of his athleticism when the last time we saw him he was getting up for a Pop-Up Powerbomb- but still. Mark's 44, with not even a sniff of doing anything other than more jobs- he might as well just retire.

Stardust Backstage Promo
I know The Ascension aren't booked the best they could be. With that said, THEY'RE THE WORST. HENCHMEN. EVER! They just let Titus into the 5th Dimension/Stardust's Evil Lair. What good are they?! I'd also love it if this sort of thing became Titus' gimmick, Bray's doing one of his spooky Promos and then Titus just shows up in the background and starts barking etc. We've had worse gimmicks, and at least Bray would get a win under his belt with that feud.

Goldust & The Primetime Players v The Cosmic Wasteland
I believe it was around this point where I commented on the ridiculous number of aimless Tag Teams in the WWE at present. The Goldust Return was a genuine surprise at Survivor Series, I'll give them that one. It of course makes sense, we're on the verge of Wrestlemania Season- so that of course means they have to start teasing Stardust/Cody Rhodes v Goldust again. The match itself was again pretty standard (it's almost as if this RAW didn't have much going for it) Titus' Hot-Tag is still equal parts fun and hilarious- and Goldust looked like he was having fun. Considering the lack of direction for everyone involved it was about as good as it could have been.

Alberto Del Rio, Zeb Colter & Jack Swagger Promo
In-terms of gimmicks that make absolutely no sense, MexAmerica is definitely up there with the best(or perhaps worst) of them. The gimmick before tonight, as far as I could work out was Del Rio and Zeb were preaching equality- but at the same time deemed nobody good enough to join MexAmerica. Now, given what happened last night- I'm back to being confused. I think Zeb's Promo was essentially "closing the borders" of MexAmerica. So now they're... I don't fucking know. I'd say ask Del Rio/Zeb, but even they don't probably know. I'm happy that Swagger's actually got on RAW, their match could steal the show at TLC if they're given time (and the right gimmick).

Charlotte v Paige- Divas Title
The problem I had with this match, and the Survivor Series one- is really quite a simple one. I don't really give a fuck about either of these two. I don't know if it's because of the injuries, or they remembered that there's supposed to be a "Divas Revolution"- but they're actually pushing the Divas at the moment. The problem with that, they're positioning and booking the Divas as if they've actually been built up- at all. That's their first mistake. A month ago, Charlotte was being booked like complete shit- and Paige wasn't anyone significant. Now, in the last two weeks they've Main Evented a RAW, got the longest match on a PPV and now they've got a Title match on RAW. Common theme throughout all of this? The crowd haven't given a single fuck, and really why should they? It's the same with a variety of angles I've been assuming the WWE would be doing/pitching- now they've got somewhat of an injury crisis they're trying to fix months, if not years worth of shit booking that they shouldn't have done in the first place.

It's still bothering me how people can't see the significance of Paige doing the PTO AT ALTITUDE!!!!1!!!1! but I can get over it.

Proof that Ryback is a dick. 
Heath Slater, the generous fellow that he is decides "You Know What? We're in Nashville, I'll give them a Concert for free!". Then, Ryback being the dick that he is decides to wreck it for everyone by interrupting and attacking Slater.

Dolph Ziggler & Dean Ambrose v Tyler Breeze & Kevin Owens
So, in my Survivor Series Predictions I said there was no good reason for Breeze to be beaten by Ziggler. At least in that respect they didn't, but really what was the point when they beat Breeze the next night? I'm not saying Ambrose shouldn't have won last night- I'm saying Breeze shouldn't have been taking the Pin. Worst of all, SUMMER FUCKING RAE STILL DOESN'T HAVE FLUFFY BOOTS. I'M TEMPTED TO START A GOFUNDME.

Advertising Acid Trip
I genuinely have no clue what they were advertising. I suppose that isn't helped by the fact I'm in the UK and I'm not really familiar with American Products- but still. With that said, I did get a laugh out of "JBL-Torito". I'm deeply ashamed of myself.

Roman Reigns v Rusev
This was really as good as it could have been. Roman Reigns v Rusev is proof, if proof was needed that Vince is absolutely loving it at the moment. You've got the muscular, "super" Babyface wrestling a Foreign Heel as the Main Event of RAW. It's definitely a weird situation we're in now, because they haven't scrapped the "European Faction" with Sheamus joining The Authority. It's definitely interesting in that respect, because it could mean Rusev and/or Barrett turning Babyface. While I don't think that's likely, it's a possibility- and one that's interesting. With the number of people out injured, I'm just looking for any reason to invest in the Main Event scene at present really.

The match was (shockingly) pretty standard, the problem this match had was such a basic one it was stupid. Neither could afford to lose. Roman Reigns wasn't losing after what happened at Survivor Series, and it was what happened at Survivor Series that meant Rusev couldn't lose either. If you're counting the Cross-Armbreaker as a Finish, Reigns took I believe 4 Finishers at Survivor Series- and wrestled two matches. Had a returning Rusev lost to Reigns after that he'd have been dead in his first day back. I've got no clue what they're going to be doing going forward, but I didn't mind this whole segment.

This RAW was almost too standard. It didn't have anything "bad" really, other than some stupid booking decisions- and at the same time there wasn't anything that can be described as anything other than average. I know that Post-Tournament they're trying to get as many angles on the "board" as possible, and I do think we'll see some improvement in the next few weeks- but for now it was just so "meh".

Thanks for reading as always, as I said there really was no point in doing a Survivor Series Review when there wasn't much to say. I'd rather skip a Review than deliver a short one, or just one where I've padded it out with bullshit. I mean, a lot of what I say is bullshit- but I at least believe it. Thanks again for reading, I hope you have a good week- this if the last Wrestling Post of November- and as we head into December it's Sammy Season. I hope you're looking forward to all of that with a busy December on here- as well as the small matter of Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment