Saturday 9 May 2015

Destination Impact Review: 8th May

Hello! Yes, they're finally here- Impact Reviews are back for the Summer! I promised they wouldn't be stopping, but in between the last Impact on Spike and them moving to Destination America and moving to a Friday I didn't really have time to watch and then Review the shows on the Saturday. I have still been watching every week when I could during the week- and now the Fulham season is over I'm going all out. It's almost like they planned it all for me because we have a live(ish) show with which to greet me and what was likely to be the crescendo to a number of feuds. Anyway, let's not waste any more time.

EY meets the Special Guest Ref.
This was short, sweet and effective. Pretty much the antithesis of 99% of the opening segments of RAW. Bully Ray coming back in was a bit "meh" for me, it might have been because I was seeing a load of people saying the Special Guest Ref would be RVD, but for me Bully coming back in was a bit of an anti-climax. I wasn't one of the guys desperately wanting the Dudleys back in WWE- but I'd have quite liked them to have an NXT run especially with the New York links with Bubba and then Enzo and Big Cass. While I was hoping it was a one off appearance, the appearance of someone else later on and seemingly starting a feud all but confirmed Bully's re-signed.

EC3 v Mr. Anderson
I don't want to throw mud, but I think the voting for this match was rigged. However because EC3 is very good he overcame the odds when they were truly stacked against him and the won match all on his own. THE STREAK LIVES! I love EC3, you only have to look at my Impact Reviews and general musings on Twitter before the turn of the year to know this- and I do like Anderson to an extent, but for me this match didn't really click. It might be because they had Tyrus in pretty much from the outset and the time constraints this match had- but for me it didn't do either of the guys any favours. As I've already said, this Impact was most likely going to be the the culmination of quite a few feuds- and I hope that they start to build EC3 up for Angle at Slammiversary now.

Backstage Segments Back to Back
I don't know if my mind is warped by Wrestling- or it's the fact it is Bully Ray, but for me the Angle backstage segment pretty much screamed "Heel Turn imminent" to me, which I suppose was a good thing because it added an intangible to the match. Although them advertising Angle as the Champion for next weeks Impact didn't exactly help the situation.

The Kong & Gail backstage segment set up the good ol' Tag Team that don't like each other dynamic well enough. I wish Fulham's season had ended a week earlier so I was watching it live and Reviewing when Gail brought out Kong because I had so many mixed feelings with it all- because I do understand why they did it, but for me Kim & Kong should always remain separate.

BDC/The Rising Promo
I don't know what someone said to MVP before he went through the curtain- but he was going off on one. I thought my stream had cut out for a second- but apparently he dropped the "N" Word, clearly channelling a certain FIVE TIME, FIVE TIME, FIVE TIME, FIVE TIME, FIVE TIME Champion- and him going off on one about invading countries because of oil and generally having a complete tirade against the US Government was definitely something, Oh Yeah- and Homicide was injured. The way it's worked out I pretty much bypassed the whole UK Tour in terms of being active when it comes to Impact, but I have liked what they've done in bringing in Galloway and The Rising, it's not like it's come out of nowhere with Galloway at least in comparison to EC3 and it's further proof if it was needed that WWE dropped the ball on him... HE WAS THE CHOSEN ONE! The Galloway Promo was a standard "Let's Fight" promo- although them teasing that Kenny King attacked Homicide was an interesting way to go. Anyway...

Drew Galloway v MVP
Considering how long the Promos went it annoyed me that the match felt a bit rushed- at least for me. The two guys didn't do a lot wrong- but for me, especially with how heated the promos (one in particular) were, it may have put my expectations up for the match beyond reach especially given the time they had. For me the finish summed the match up in that it was pretty much out of nowhere and judging by the reaction to it- or rather the lack of reaction it caught everyone out.

I liked the EY attack after, it's rare you see Main Eventers intervene in supposed Midcard matches- and it added another factor into the Main Event, which as I'll discuss may not have been a good thing.

James Storm, Mickie James and (Brutus) Magnus.

This is another feud/gimmick where I've been dying to add my say on it. Storm as "Revolution" Storm was impressing me- for me they'd position his character so it didn't feel like a Wyatt Family rip-off but they still had it in a way where the "Brainwashing Cult" type gimmick would work. His obsession for want of a better word with making Mickie James feel good doesn't fit at all with what he's been doing. The crowds reaction to it all pretty much summed it up, unless I'm completely missing the point we're supposed to think Storm is trying to manipulate Mickie to get to Magnus- yet the way the crowd reacted you'd think Storm was the Babyface. Also, lets be honest- if you bring a Guitar into a Wrestling Ring anything that happens with said guitar is your own dam fault... Sorry, About Your Damn Luck.

Various Backstage/Non-Live Segments
The EY/BDC Backstage Segment as I've already said furthered the "outside" factor for it all which while I do see why, I didn't necessarily agree with given the way EY had been built as  Piledriving Killer who can beat the Champ in a Stretcher Match.

I liked the Taryn thing at that bloke who's married to Gail's cooking show- and apparently the two people Taryn was taking selfies with were her Daughters. This type of stuff is what I like and where TNA can excel in comparison to WWE in that they need to have a product based a lot in reality- because the idea of kayfabe is dead, so why not play on Real-Life situations and relationships where it's applicable.

The Dollhouse v Kong & Kim
I'll preface this by saying I love the Knockouts- and they usually deliver on a par or exceed the majority of the Men on the show. But this was what's commonly known as a "Botchamania Special Edition" Match. I liked the Dollhouse vignettes- and while I can't say I'm particularly familiar with Mia Yim's work, judging from the reaction she is a talent to watch, but for whatever reason it just didn't click last night and it simply didn't work. I do like Taryn as a Heel, although I can't help but feel they turned her to show the Network they have control over the on screen talent given the alleged Network's preference for her and Angle to be Champ.

The Tag Title Argument
The Tag Belts are cursed, that was pretty much confirmed after Jeff's accident. Considering how long this segment went- and how many words were spoken, there wasn't really a lot notable about this segment; and for me the build and time taken didn't simply didn't work with the handshake ending. It's good to see Edwards back and I don't doubt the Best of 5 Series will be top draw- but to have the segment go this long for them to simply shake hands and walk away from each other felt like a bit of anti-climax.

Backstage Segment with Galloway & Hardy
So it seems as though Matt Hardy'll be joining The Rising- so I guess the whole Drew trying to end Matt's career and all is in the past.

Angelina Love & Velvet Sky thing
I was expecting Jessicka Havok- and I got Velvet Sky. Although I suppose I should have seen it coming given Bully's return earlier in the night. Judging from responses I got last night in all be it limited audience of a about 6 People who read my Tweets regularly during Impacts, RAWs etc. I'm going to confidently say- Nobody cares about Velvet Sky. I just hope for her sake she looks like crap to fit the gimmick, otherwise her time with Bubba hasn't done her any favours. The actual attack was pretty good all in all but I just don't care about Velvet.

Kurt Angle v Eric Young TNA WHC Match
Can someone say overbooked? If they were going to have Angle win, which was clearly where they were going with it- even if you take the Adverts for next weeks Impact naming Angle as Champion out of the equation I don't see why he couldn't have "just" won. Yes, EY is the Heel and has to do heelish things to be seen as a legitimate threat, but surely that legitimacy was given in spades when he beat Angle in a Stretcher Match. The addition of the BDC, The Rising and randomly Melendez- combined with the Low Blow to Bully and the attempted Piledriver etc. for me this just felt like a bit of a cluster. I would have loved EY to win, and for me his Heel Run deserved the win last night- but in the position TNA are in they can't afford to not bend to the Networks demands which is why I'm happy for Angle to be Champion for the time being.

Thanks for reading as always, these Impact Reviews are back for the Summer so enjoy them while they're here. It's definitely going to be interesting to see where TNA go between now and Slammiversary at the end of June, and I'll be here every step along the way- don't forget to stay tuned for the RAW Review on Tuesday, and thanks again for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment